I HAVE A LITTLE PROBLEM...

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

c schoelen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by c schoelen »

i was off-roading the other day and i was in 2wd. for some reason the little orange LED on the 4wd switch turned off. now none of the little LEDs turn on and i cannot get my truck to go into 4wd. Do you think some connection came loose? if i can't figure this out soon im gonna have to take it to the dealship and get charged a ton just to get it looked at. :(
[size=75]2002 S-10 Zr5 with: 6" superlift, 15" black rockcrawler rims, Airaid Intake, and 33 X 12.50 BF Goodrich Mud terrian Tires. Skidz Cut-out Flares[/size]
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

Sounds like your having the same 4wd problems as alot of us have with our cc. Possibly the encoder motor went out. There are alot of threads around hear about this topic though . Good luck.
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

maybe the switch
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
c schoelen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by c schoelen »

i dunno if it's the switch because the letters on it still light up at night when my headlights are on. it's just the orange LEDs on the switch... none of them light up at all. it could be the switch i dunno... i think ill take it to the dealership and just see if they'll look at it for free.

if it is the switch, how much do you think it will cost me.

thanks for your input!
[size=75]2002 S-10 Zr5 with: 6" superlift, 15" black rockcrawler rims, Airaid Intake, and 33 X 12.50 BF Goodrich Mud terrian Tires. Skidz Cut-out Flares[/size]
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

I would not think that it would be a switch. I had replaced mine with one i knew worked from a buddies truck and it did not solve my problem. I never got it fixed either, i just do the unplug battery for 15 minutes trick, resets the computer and works for a while. I have not needed to do it for awhile now. Lately when I hit the button it engages. I bought a used switched off e-bay for $15.00 a while back when I first found out I had problems. I kinda got mad at mine and the bulbs all got broken out. OOOPS

I was told from a friend I knew thats works at a garage to find a switch and try it before you buy one. If you have to go to a used car lot and find a blazer or s-10 that has the same switch as yours and try it. It just pops out take wire harness off and put good one in and try it. My wife did not like that idea and she bought me the one off e-bay.
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]
rlith
Crew
Crew

Post by rlith »

1st Check vac actuator under battery tray for tears, or leaks, and that the vac hose is connected. Replace if found

2nd Check vac hose leading from vac actuator to vac switch on transfer case for cracks and dry rot. Replace if found.

3rd Check remaining 2 hoses from vac switch on transfer case for dryrot or cracks Replace if found.

If all of the above are fine, disconnect your negative battery cable for 1/2 hour then reconnect it. If your 4x4 works after that you probably have a failing TCCM (Transfer case control module)

If that doesn't solve it, it's most likely the encoder motor
[size=75]See my ride at www.pghconsulting.net/teal[/size]
c schoelen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by c schoelen »

i think i fixed it!! :D
i was just sitting in my car and i decided that i might as well look in the fuse box and see if there was a fuse for the switch... and there was! it was blown, so i put a new one in and it worked! but i think i have a short somewhere because i drove around with the new fuse for a little then i blew again... should i take it to the dealership for this problem or is there an easy way to fix it?