SHIFT BUTTONS

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

badsix
Regular
Regular

SHIFT BUTTONS

Post by badsix »

this is a 2001 crew cab went to shift into 4-low, 4-low light won't come on or shift to 4-low. but the 4-hi will start blinking and I think i'm still in 2-hi. the truck has 120 k on it and has rarely ever been in 4wd . just checked the actuator about 6 months ago looked good lubed the cable up good
Jay D.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: SHIFT BUTTONS

Post by HenryJ »

So to shift to four low you stopped, placed the transmission in neutral and then pressed the button to select four low. Correct?
If it did not work properly, the first trick I would try: Reset. Disconnect both battery cables. Wait three minutes. Re-connect both battery cables.
If it still doesn't work...the suspect on the top of my hit list would be the encoder / transfercase motor.
If you are handy and wanting to spend some time checking other things you can check to make sure the front axle actuator is moving, has vacuum (no rotted hoses) and the cable is not stuck or broken. You mentioned lubing it. I assume it worked fine then? The front axle actuator and assorted parts won't keep the transfer case from shifting. They will keep the light flashing though. If it did not go into low range, that is all about the shift motor on the transfercase. It is possible the switch or the module are at fault, however you still have lights that function and they are trying to do something. If the reset did not get them going again, it seems to me that we are right back to pointing at the transfercase motor.

Mine on the Avalanche went out at under 100k miles. I have seen a couple more go around that mark too. Pretty easy to change. Pretty pricey part though. When it comes time to go get one, be sure to count the pins on the electrical connector before you go. There are a few to choose from. Reman units run about $170. New $224

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Sounds to me like he needs to shift to neutral then hit the 4 low button
badsix
Regular
Regular

Post by badsix »

Thanks for the very informative information I will try the battery disconnect this week end
thanks Jay D.
badsix
Regular
Regular

Post by badsix »

_STUCKY wrote:Sounds to me like he needs to shift to neutral then hit the 4 low button
Your right ! I did it in neutral stopped and it worked fine. thanks I feel kinda stupid, but better now that I don't have to buy a shift motor
Jay D.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Awesome! :clap: Much better to have no repairs to do :)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Lol. I learned that lesson while trying to back a trailer into a garage at night in front of about 10 people. I felt really ignorant. My buddy came over and quietly was like "what the hell are you doing?"