Camber

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

z28
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Camber

Post by z28 »

Alright here is my latest issue. Did a quick search and didn't find anything so if I missed the topic let me know. My truck is wearing every other tread lug off the inside row of tread on my left front tire. It did this before with another tire. When I had it aligned I was told the camber was off. It's been less than 1000 miles since it was last aligned. My ball joints are tight and everything else front end wise seem fine. Only issue I can find is one tie rod end has minimal slop, not enough to cause any issues. Just trying to figure out why it won't hold alignment. Don't want to have to pay to straighten it out every 1000 miles.
2003 S10 Crew Cab ZR5
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Camber

Post by HenryJ »

Idler and pitman arm are pretty common wear items. How about shocks? IFS like to be pretty steady.

I like to have mine aligned with my weight in the drivers seat , a full tank of gas and my normal gear load.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
z28
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by z28 »

The steering has less that a half inch play on steering wheel both directions. I didn't figure that would cause camber issues even if there was more. The shocks are getting some age on them. Since shocks don't really carry any load or alter ride height never gave it a second thought. Is this IFS really sensitive enough that a shock will through it off that far?
2003 S10 Crew Cab ZR5
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

As for the shocks, yea I'd agree shocks *could make a difference. Had a 94 jimmy that had the shakes at speed. Threw some cheapo napa blue shocks on and cured it. It probably had other issues too :2:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Any time the suspension travels the camber changes on an IFS. Shocks can make a big difference.
I still lean toward ball joints wheel bearings and tie-rods in a severe situation.
Frequent tire rotations and a less aggressive lugged tire can help, but nothing will be perfect on IFS.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK