Evap System/Fuel Tank Question

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

VickK

Evap System/Fuel Tank Question

Post by VickK »

Just bought a 2002 Sonoma Crew SLS. Lovin' this truck so far especially the ride quality compared to the 2 door. Does anyone know if the evap systems are the same on the S-10/Sonoma standard and ext. cab as the crew (purge unit, charcoal canister, etc.) also, has anyone tried installing a fuel tank for the standard or ext. cab in a crew? You guys know the deal with price and availability on the crew tanks! Thanks in Advance, Vick.
VickK

Re: Evap System/Fuel Tank Question

Post by VickK »

This site seems Dead In The Water.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Maybe just slow, but not quite dead. Some of the evap parts are indeed the same. I know the vent valve is and the purge should be.
Haven't heard of anyone trying a different model fuel tank.

What is wrong with your stuff? What problems are you having to need to swap all that?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

I agree. Definitely not dead but slow. You have to realize its a truck that's been out of production over 10 years. The purge should be the same as all the trucks use the same engine. A quick parts store search would confirm. As far as a tank swap it has been my understanding the frames are different to accommodate the crew cab / bed combo. If looking to add extra capacity I would look at the aux mod that henryj performed.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I get on here at least every morning, if not more. Depends what I'm doing to the truck, or thinking. Great forum, great people, I love this forum, even if it's not high traffic.

But I'm no s10 guru, so I can't always answer questions. :wave:
VickK

Post by VickK »

Thanks for the replies guys. I thought I was all alone here. You are right Stucky, it is a great site-one of a kind like our trucks for sure. To HenryJ, I have a code P0440 and think it may be a leaking filler neck hose, the rubber portion, as the cause. When refueling, if you fill at 1/2 speed or less no fuel leak, any faster than that and fuel starts hitting the ground. I will pull the fuel tank, repair the leaking hose and go from there. I asked about the other components of the evap system just to get an idea for salvage yard parts purposes. Thanks again to all for the replies. After my initial post I checked back for replies for 3 weeks and nothing. Patience has never been one of my strong points. Vick.
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jedthrocornpone »

my CC had a hairline crack almost all the way around the filler neck where it met the tank.... JB water weld has saved my tank-thanks Brule
VickK

Post by VickK »

Hey guys. Finally got the leak repaired. Turned out to be 2 pea sized holes in the filler neck on the tank itself. JB Weld Steelstik worked like a charm. No more leaks but now setting code P0453 EVAP pressure sensor high. Must not be venting properly now. Going to clean vent filter, vent valve and canister and check purge valve and all lines. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks to jedthrocornpone for the images (I wish my tank was as clean as yours) and to others for your posts. Happy Holidays to all, Vick in New York.