fuel pressure check for leaking injectors

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

OrlandoSonomazr5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

fuel pressure check for leaking injectors

Post by OrlandoSonomazr5 »

so my engine has a serious misfire only at idle up to about 3000rpm then runs good

We've gone trough all the basics distributor, wires, plugs, cleaned maf, checked map and maf sensors.

During fuel injector test your supposed to turn engine to on position get around 55lbs of fuel pressure and then it should drop when you start motor about 4-8psi. Mine dropped 2psi.

Than when you shut the motor off it should keep fuel pressure for about 1 minute than bleed off, It should be bled out completely after 5 mins.

Mine is not dropping fuel pressure even after an hour of being shut off. Its still showing 58lbs of fuel psi.

Im also noticing a huge difference in numbers between my ST and LT1 and 2 banks numbers are way off from each other.

My question is could the fuel pressure regulator be stuck and only starting to function once enough vacuum is formed inside the manifold forcing it to start working.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: fuel pressure check for leaking injectors

Post by HenryJ »

Sounds reasonable. Have you checked your vacuum? Could it be weak , or have a leak?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

I have never seen these motors bleed off completely in 5 minutes unless you have an issue with something leaking or a bad pressure regulator. Sounds like you are having normal fuel delivery operation.
OrlandoSonomazr5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have checked for fuel pressure leaks and like I said gauge remains stable for well over an hour so no bleed off. Only possibility is if one of the poppet valves in the old fuel injection is having a issue.

We checked all spark plug wires to make sure ignition pulse was constant and equal to every other cylinder and the light blinked/pulsed the same for each spark plug. So we know ignition is not the issue.

Fuel pump is working, fuel filter is brand new.

Seems to run a bit better when a little starter fluid is sprayed in, but to much kills the motor.

I did just fix my exhaust as it had a leak just after the cat. Could the cat be clogged and the now added back pressure becauseing the o2 sensors to go crazy cause as I stated one bank is definitely running lean.

Wideband in exhaust at idle warm shows 20:1 above 3000rpm drops back to 13:1/14:1
OrlandoSonomazr5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So I tried an old trick called the Dollar bill trick and the results were unfortunate.

It seems I have a possible stuck valve or possibly bent either seems the heads need to come off. Totally bummed about this, only had it for 6 months and I've dumped more money into this truck than my other 3 vehicles combined.
OrlandoSonomazr5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

so compression checked revealed 210 across all 6 cylinders. I'm assuming a bit high from the the normal 180lbs from carbon buildup in the cylinders.

But we did find that disconnecting cylinders 3 and 4 had absolutely no effect on the motor other wise meaning they are not forming combustion.

Now for the reason why. We have spark, we possibly have air we possibly have fuel as one of the spark plugs was very rich while the other was very lean.

I'm beginning to think I have collapsed lifters so i'll be removing the valve covers to inspect the valve train for any issues. hopefully its something that stupid. Or We find that were not getting fuel and it needs a new spider fuel injection system.

Bottom line slowly but shortly we are narrowing down the issue.
OrlandoSonomazr5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Replaced old CSPI Fuel Injection with the new style and now have a no start issue.

Can't win with this thing.

Anyone bored who can take some photos around the top of their motor for me. I have two nuts left and can't figure out where they go.
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

If it's a crank no start I'm guessing the distributor is a tooth off.
OrlandoSonomazr5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

distributor never came out when changing the fuel injection system and it ran before. We have spark. It seems to be a fuel issue.
Built2Bend
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Built2Bend »

Is it possible you have a couple wires switched? I know it sound stupid but I've seen master techs do it by acident before. Good luck with your truck I hope it all works out.

I got a funny story kinda simalar.

When I did my head gasket on my 4cyl s10 I bent a pin in the plug for the fuel injectors it plugged back in Fine so I dident notice it when I went to start there was a crank with no start and it sounded Terible almost like a knock I Thot one of my push rods wasent in the rocker still while I was pulling the valve cover to check I found the bent pin. That's just something to think about I'm sure there totaly diferent.

Also if you are goiNg to need to pull the head off I have a brand new set of felpro head bolts and a head gasket set(gaskets are only missing the intakes) I bought all of it just I case.