Tranny died again for the third time

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

okaussiee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tranny died again for the third time

Post by okaussiee »

Was driving my CC today at highway speed and, what appears to be, the 3-4 clutch toasted. Only have first and second gear. This happened in 2010, then in 2015 and now one year later.

This time, however is supposed to be under warranty so it shouldn't cost anything.

The work has been done by two different shops. Makes me wonder about the quality of the rebuild kits, the expertise, or possibly an inherent problem with the 4l60E.

I have other posts regarding my tranny issues under okaussie3.

Keep you posted on this issue. It is going back to the shop on Wednesday morning..

Bill
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Tranny died again for the third time

Post by roadrunner »

Mine went out twice by the time I had 130k on the truck. First time was my fault. Didn't stop trying to get unstuck soon enough. Second time had not been stuck or even in serious mud and it went out on dry roads. Turned a corner and no 2nd gear or reverse. Sun shell (which was replaced 1st time with the "beast") stripped out internally. Truck now has a new home somewhere else. Been happy with the new Tacoma off road that replaced it so far.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
okaussiee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by okaussiee »

Don't remember the miles on mine, but do know that I purchased it brand new in 2001 (a 02 model) it died in 2010, 2016,2016 all with the same problem. The truck now has over 209k miles on it.

I just dropped it off this morning. Don't know anything yet. I did reenforce the fact they told me yesterday it was still under warranty. It cost me over $2600 last year for the same problem.

I believe I made an error in my last post. I think it should be okaussie instead of okaussie3 for reviewing my previous posts regarding my tranny problems.

I work nights and had been up over 18 hours when I typed my previous post. Sorry guys.

Will let you know something when I do..

Bill
okaussiee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by okaussiee »

Just got my CC back yesterday. No Charge. I asked them what had happened and they told me they didn't know but it was low on fluid.
I told them that I had two quarts in on the way to their shop to see if it would fix the issue and they said it was still low.
They told me that the input seal to the TC was fine and it was not sucked in there. They thought possibly the lines to the tranny cooler could be leaking.

I will continue to monitor the fluid level to see if that is the case.

So at over 209K miles this is the third rebuild for the same issue.

We can close this issue unless someone else would like to comment.

Bill
okaussiee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by okaussiee »

My 4WD didn't work again. Just like the last time they repaired my tranny. So I crawled under and found, what appears to be a rebuilt tranny, not mine rebuilt but another rebuilt. This one had gray paint on the pan and housing. Think that this time, rather than trying to repair it themselves, the purchased a complete rebuilt unit and replaced mine.

Back to the new problem. When I finally found the transfer case switch. I found that they put the connector on 120 degrees out of phase thereby throwing the vacuum off. When I put it on correctly, I got vacuum on my vac gauge on the front actuator hose in 4WD like it is suppose to have. Then I connected that hose back to the actuator and everything is fine now.

Pretty bad when you have that much repair work done, you have to double check everything to make sure everything is right and works as it is suppose to.

Any how, all is right in my world now..

Bill
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

Sounds like a shop I would stay away from. I know s### happens but seems like a lot of problems. Most shops usually just order in a reman trans to save time on a vehicle being tied up on a hoist because time is money. Easier and quick to pull the trans and put a reman unit in. Then if something's wrong it's the reman paying for the extra labor instead of the shop eating it for a bad rebuild.
okaussiee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by okaussiee »

I totally agree. The only reason I took it there in the first place last year was because they did good work on my wife's 2002 Chrysler Sebring.

And the shop that usually does my work recommended them since they don't do tranny's.

I took it there this time is due to it was still under warranty. Only 13 months in and it failed again with the same problem, the 3-4 clutch.

If I need tranny repair again, I will surely get other recommendations and take it somewhere else.

Bill
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

My trans that came with my truck died at 33k. Had the paperwork from the original owner. He paid to have it rebuilt. that one lasted till about 120k and died, in which he replaced it with a new unit. The trans i have now was redone by a local shop (whos a total dick) and low and behold ive put over 100k on it since then. This one was done right before i purchased the truck, at 189k. I bought the truck with that on it and have 293k now. I had a flush done at 230k and just did a fluid change/service at my friends shop using a napa kit. I was loosing trans fluid right before we did the change at the cooler lines and the seal for the shifter. Replaced the leaky components while the pan was down and all is well with the world now. Still shifts good, no more leaks.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ