Tranfercase Grinding and Squealing

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Tranfercase Grinding and Squealing

Post by Horsehammerr »

After replacing front CV axles and Hub bearings , I find out the Squealing and Grinding is coming from my Transfercase. Works in 2wd, 4wdHi, and 4wdLo, but man what a racket ! What could this problem be ? I have hardly ever used 4x, what can I do ? :?:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Tranfercase Grinding and Squealing

Post by Horsehammerr »

Will an '03 ZR2 transfer case fit my '02 CC ?
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

It’s possible something let loose inside. I believe the 236 is more problematic than the 233. Which do you have?

https://www.midwesttrans.com/NP233.html

https://www.midwesttrans.com/NP236.html
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

:?: I have a 233C in mine and have located one out of the same truck I got my ZR2 rear axle assembly from. That's right , with only 179 miles on it. I call that NEW. Just seems strange that my Transfer Case would Bust the day after I put the "NEW" rearend in ? Beat Midwest Trans by $300 :roflmao: And Thanks for the Reply STUCKY :bow:
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Wow! :shock: Lucky you! :D Not about the failure but certainly about the find. :rah: Sounds like you're having my kind of "luck" on vehicle repairs. :rant:
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Yea stupid prices on that site, but good info and pics.

Did you check the fluid level? Or for leaks? There isn’t much inside a 231 or a 233, but a 236 looks scary inside. I’m wondering if the tube came off the pump or if the pump is wearing a hole in the case. If you had the case off, a good set of snap ring pliers, and I believe a 10 and 14 mm are all you need to take it apart and see what happened.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

roadrunner wrote:Wow! :shock: Lucky you! :D Not about the failure but certainly about the find. :rah: Sounds like you're having my kind of "luck" on vehicle repairs. :rant:
Take a look at NORDSTROMS AUTOMOTIVE , They buy LOTS of Auction vehicles to partout , very reasonable prices and they ship to your house. :D
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Horsehammerr wrote:
roadrunner wrote:Wow! :shock: Lucky you! :D Not about the failure but certainly about the find. :rah: Sounds like you're having my kind of "luck" on vehicle repairs. :rant:
Take a look at NORDSTROMS AUTOMOTIVE , They buy LOTS of Auction vehicles to partout , very reasonable prices and they ship to your house. :D
And yes I seem to be on my way to a complete restoration at 190,000 miles. :!: