powder coating stock wheels

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

powder coating stock wheels

Post by malkavian »

Hey guys. Well Im saving for the super lift, tires, and gears. I was going to buy the black rock crawler wheels but I wouldnt be able to get them all the same back spacing so that the rear wheels will come out to the fender flares with out the front wheels sticking to far out right?

So Im just thinking of getting my stock zr5 wheels powder coated flat black and put the 2 in spacers on the back and running 31x10.5 procomp mud terrains . What do you guys think. I love the pro comps had them on the old cherokee.
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

Wouldnt you scratch up the powdercoating a bunch while spinning them in the mud and rocks.

I have a powdercoated prerunner that scratches pretty easily not really easily but if you scrape it along the ground it will definately scratch, so I dont see how it would be any different with your wheels
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
d44/d60 5.13's, atlas 3.8
[/size]
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

My dirt bike frame has held up really well. I had it powder coated 3 years ago. BUt its not flat black. :?
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: powder coating stock wheels

Post by HenryJ »

malkavian wrote:...Im just thinking of getting my stock zr5 wheels powder coated flat black ... What do you guys think. ...I love the pro comps ...
I really hate to see you powdercoat those ZR5 wheels. I really think they are a good looking wheel, and there are quite a few who would really like to have a set.
It may be difficult to powder coat them, too. That is some seriously thick clearcoating that they have :shock: The cost of glass beading the coating off before the powdercoat, may make that price "less attractive?"

Sure seems that you could sell them for enough to get a set of black wheels? If it is the rearspacing that worries you, don't let it.
Reed is running the black Daytona's with 4.5" rear spacing, and Mike Copeland from Diversified creations sells custom 5.25" rear spaced black rockcrawlers.

Either would be a good option.

I wouldn't go with flat black. It is way too hard to clean. If you want the "dull look" just buff the shine off with some steel wool or fine scotch brite.

I don't have a problem with the ProComp's. I came real close to buying the AT's for my truck when they had the "buy three get one free" deal going.
Last edited by HenryJ on Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

i have a set for sale if you want!!! :wink:
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

bubaloo1983 are those the black rock crawler wheels you have? What is the back spacing?
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

My question here is, has anyone done it and how much does it cost.

Still running the stock wheels (not the zr5's) but am interested in powdercoating them

Saw it done in this month's issue of 4 wheel and off road
[size=75]"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Call around locally. The price seems to vary widely. They will all need to be sandblasted before powdercoating. Use a reputable shop. Cheap jobs will be thin and chip easily. This could lead to premature corrosion problems.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

PATRICKH wrote:My question here is, has anyone done it and how much does it cost.
I called a local powder coating shop and described my (ZR5) wheels to him. He gave me a price of roughly $70 a piece.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

An alternative is just paint them.

inline6 wrote:Painted them with Rust-oleum Enamel Satin Black. So option 3, clean and paint. I do get more complements now than I did with them being gray. Thanks

I did it with the tires mounted and the wheels on the jeep. I just removed the center cap and held up a cardboard mask for the ring. Worked out pretty good, IMHO. Next time I break the tires off, I may do something different...

A bit of wheel painting history, I have had wheels powder coated before and have been all diligent about sanding and cleaning then painting.
Powder coating is overrated for wheels, especially ones that will see rocks. If you go this route make sure to have them not apply powder coating to areas with tight margins. LIke the beadlock area, hub area, and even the lug nut seat area. I have had coating fracture an chip in a couple of these areas. Then it just continued to flake off. Could of been a bad job, but after doing it and also painting wheels, you get the same effect and easier touch up.

Being all diligent is a good thing for a first time or when they are off. I find it a bit easier and looks as good to clean, scuff, paint. Every year or so do it again to clean them up. Brake dust will cover up imperfections. .....
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Good point.

Scotchbrite to scuff them up good. Vaseline can be used to mask off details that would be hard to mask otherwise.

If you have an old oven around you can even bake the enamel.

Armor is another black paint I have had good luck with. No primer needed. It is a self etching trailer / industrial coating. It comes in rattle cans too.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
SleeperSS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by SleeperSS »