Towing or large payloads with spacers?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Mat73GNZ
Crew
Crew

Towing or large payloads with spacers?

Post by Mat73GNZ »

I never even thought about it, but I do tow around a Bobcat trailer with stuff on it (no Bobcat with this truck though :lol: ) and I also have carried large payloads in the bed. Now that I have 2" spacers on the rear, should I be worried? I just hated the way the truck looked with such a narrow rear end, like those railroad untility trucks, that I didn't even think about how they would affect what I use the truck for.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I can tell that the truck acts differently with the track in the rear widened by 4". I didn't think I would even notice, but you can tell!

!M!
'02 Crew Cab
'73 Datsun 240Z with Buick Grand National engine swap
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Towing or large payloads with spacers?

Post by HenryJ »

Mat73GNZ wrote:... I can tell that the truck acts differently with the track in the rear widened by 4". I didn't think I would even notice, but you can tell!...
What difference did you notice?

Mine seems a bit more stable, but that may just be psychological?

I tow with mine and haven't seen, or worried about any problems. Don't exceed the proper tongue weight , payload capacity and I think you'll be fine.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I've towed a good bit with my 2" rear spacers and haven't had any trouble. I don't think 2" is enough to worry about. Now if you had 5"+ spacers on, I'd be a little concerned with lugs breaking or something like that.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

wamason wrote:...Now if you had 5"+ spacers on, I'd be a little concerned with lugs breaking or something like that.
I wouldn't worry about that :lol: You are only talking about reducing the rear spacing to 1".

If you think there would be a problem it would be on something like this-

Those rims do use six lugs instead of our five, but they are only 3/8"dia. I will admit that the rims do have 4" of rear spacing, but they are 36" wide rims! Those tires are 44" tall and 41" wide.
If anything was going to break a stud, it would have been those wheels. We broke CV's and axles, but never a problem with wheel studs :D

I think you are plenty safe with any rearspacing and tire size that our sheet metal will handle. There are plenty of things that will break before the spacers or wheel studs, as long as the remain properly installed and torqued.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Mat73GNZ
Crew
Crew

Post by Mat73GNZ »

HenryJ wrote:What difference did you notice?

Mine seems a bit more stable, but that may just be psychological?
Yes, same here, it feels more stable. I don't think it was in my head though, because you can tell when you make a turn and when you hit a bump, the truck doesn't wallow as much, which is odd considering that the spacers would have little if any noticable affect on the suspension. Also, the vibrations felt through the chassis from suspension movements after hitting a bump feels a bit different. After a while you become 'in-tune' with your truck and you can, well... just tell. I turned up the music really loud to eliminate me hearing something and expecting it to happen and drove down a crappy road (lots of them here in Wisconsin) and you actually can tell a difference.

!M!
'02 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Mat73GNZ wrote:...Yes, same here, it feels more stable. I don't think it was in my head though, because you can tell when you make a turn and when you hit a bump, the truck doesn't wallow as much, which is odd considering that the spacers would have little if any noticable affect on the suspension....
Well it should have an effect on the suspension, but it is still hard to belive that such a small change would even be noticeable.

The wider you make the stance the greater the length of the lever acting upon the suspension. This is true since the width added is outboard the springs and shocks.

This should offer a greater arc of travel at the outermost edge, applying greater pressure on the springs and reducing the effectiveness of the shocks during hard articulation.
Now all that is exaggerated well beyond what should be noticeable, right?

For pounding the pavement, there should be a reduction on the center of gravity , due to the increased width. Thus the feeling of stability?

I feel a whole bunch more comfortable having kept with exceeding an inch wider for every inch of lift :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Mat73GNZ
Crew
Crew

Post by Mat73GNZ »

:lol: I was going to explain it the way you did, but decided to leave it as "noticeable" as in I can feel it, not how it actually works. I busted my wrist in JKD and typing is getting more difficult.

I delt A LOT with the suspension on my Datsun 240Z, so I know a thing or two :wink: . But it's there for others to read/learn, which is good.

Also, do you have a mud drag vehicle? :shock: Those things are sweet!

!M!
'02 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Mat73GNZ wrote:...Also, do you have a mud drag vehicle? :shock: ...
Yes, and no. The engine is in my garage under the bench and it sits out in "the sand pit" now, it was fun - The Turbid Necromancer I still keep a few of the trophies out in the garage to look at :D
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Mat73GNZ
Crew
Crew

Post by Mat73GNZ »

That is pretty cool 8) . Love the simplicity. Cool name too, just like it came right from a thesaurus :D

!M!
'02 Crew Cab
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I noticed that my Blazer really seemed to turn differently once I added my 1.75" spacers.

I thought it was all in my head, but now you guys are making me reconsider.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Speaking of too much weight in the bed... I think I may have been slightly over. I'm glad I didn't get rid of my overload springs though because I used those as they were bent the wrong way. I have an add a leaf and longer shackles. My drive shaft rubbed on the gas tank skid plate slightly. That had me worried. I made two trips like this 10 miles in distance each trip.

Also just wanted to try the new picture feature :D
1205091345a.jpg
(284.36 KiB) Not downloaded yet
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That IS loaded!

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

The steering felt a little loose at 60mph haha
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Might try stair stepping up toward the front and move some off of the tail behind the axle. Could take some creative stacking, but probably worth it. Either that or make more runs. :lol:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Well where's the fun in that??
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Rich K.
Crew
Crew

Post by Rich K. »

Green02crew, That was really loaded. I heat my house with our wood burning stove so I know what it is to weigh down our CC rear suspension. I usually use one of my trailers for the majority of the weight and keep a part of the "over-sized" bed we have to carry all my cutting equipment. :lol:

This spring I plan to "beef up" the rear suspension with the Boise spring kit. Do you have that kit and an overload spring? Or, just the overload?
[size=75]Drive it in, tow it out! Thats our motto...[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I have 2" lift shackles, long add a leaf and kept the factory overload.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Rich K.
Crew
Crew

Post by Rich K. »

I've read in the past about guys with the 2" lift shackles who felt like they made the rear sway more than normal. How does yours feel? That might be my next mod if I can't go with the Boise springs. How much did they set you back? Where did you get your overload spring? Thanks green... :)
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

There is a small amount of movement in the rear-end from side to side. I would not say more than stock but then again I cannot compare as I installed the gas tank skid plate after the shackles. My drive shaft can rub on the skid plate. If you don't have that or don't plan to add it, I wouldn't worry.

Overload springs come on your truck stock. They are the large flat springs at the bottom of the spring pack.

I do not recall where I got the shackles but I know Jigg sells some nice ones:
Lifts for s-10s, Synergy Offroad
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I put the Daystars on mine. With my front TB's cranked almost as far as they will go with alignment , I got 1 1/2". With the Daystar shackles I have as close to perfect level as I think possible. I really hammerr my corners and curves here in the Ozarks and have NO extra sway from the shackles. I do have front AND rear sway bars that effect this super control cornering. The rest is in my sig. at the bottom of my posts. :thumb: 8)
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Towing exerts an extra side load to the body and frame. The problems with extended shackles show up when towing. The axle tends to move to the side on the turns and the driveshaft will rub the fuel tank. Those with the fuel tank shield will have less clearance and more problems. This has not been a problem for those without extended shackles.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rich K.
Crew
Crew

Post by Rich K. »

HenryJ wrote:Towing exerts an extra side load to the body and frame. The problems with extended shackles show up when towing. The axle tends to move to the side on the turns and the driveshaft will rub the fuel tank. Those with the fuel tank shield will have less clearance and more problems. This has not been a problem for those without extended shackles.
Brule, does this mean that those who use the Boise springs to equal out the TB crank don't experience this problem? I do a lot of towing whether it is firewood, projects, or my trailer and ATV.

Is the rub a problem for those who use the 1 1/2" shackles instead of the 2"? :?:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Springs will not have the problem if mine is any example. I have towed near capacity and had no rubbing.
Hobie had shackles and rubbed bad pulling a car trailer.

I can not say for sure who will and who won't. It depends upon the load, length of shackles, bushings, fuel tank, etc. All I can say is that several members who have installed extended shackles rubbed the driveshaft on the fuel tank or fuel tank shield.
I have not heard of a stock truck , one with helper springs, or the BSW kit doing this. I feel comfortable saying those will not have any troubles.

If you tow, I would not install extended shackles. JMO.

Extended shackles are not bad. They offer greater articulation and lift at a small price. Just not a good idea for those who tow regularly.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I have towed a lot, hauled a lot, and rubbed a little. I did not rub until I got the gas tank skid plate. My bushings are about shot, and were when I did the shackles however they did not get replaced. If you overload your truck a lot than maybe that would be bad? If I towed the recommended weight I don't think I would have an issue. I would do it again and don't regret the purchase, especially for the price. Its the best inch to dollar ratio. If you'd like to get the new springs thats a good purchase and would help the rear suspension a lot. I'm happy where I'm at.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab