Mickey Thompson tires

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Mickey Thompson tires

Post by Brad »

Has anyone here had any experience with Mickey Thompson Baja Belted tires? I am looking at the Baja Belted HP in 31x10.50x17 to mount on my 17x9 rims. I have been told so many different things from they are great to they will not work on small trucks. Any info would be helpful.

Brad
Freinds don't let freinds crank torsion bars.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Have you checked out the website?

A is the tread design? Not too bad looking. They are directional? You will only be able to rotate front to rear without dismounting, but that's not too big a deal.

How much lift do you have? What is the BS (rear spacing) on your rims?

It has been many years since I've run bias ply tires. I like the radials myself.

Edit:I have to take some of that back, I have run the Mickey Thompson Drag Slicks for over 10 years. I guess they are bias ply ;). Great tires, good quality and consistent compound.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

I looked into these and was suggested not to buy them because they wear abnormally fast..as to how many miles, i don't know but if it doesn;t matter, get them they are really nice looking
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

I am actually looking at the Baja HP tire. I have the 2 inch BL only. I really don't want to crank the T bars. I need a 17 tire that is no taller than 30 inches.

Brad
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

These?

You obviously don't plan on going offroad at all?

That is the same tread that I have on the rear tires of my HenryJ! (without the side lugs of course). They are the sportsmans:

Those things are like being on a "floor full of marbles" when it is wet out. And forget about driving across any grass, no traction what so ever.

On the good side they do last pretty good, and the sidewall looks cool.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

I thought they looked alike only larger voids. Here is my situation. According to Hobie his 30.7 inch BFG ATs rub with a 2 inch BL and 1 inch T bar lift. Most 265/70/17s are 31.3 to32.5 inches tall. Hobies Rock Crawlers have one more inch to the outside backspace than I do. I am guessing I can't fit any thing larger than a 31inch true height. In 17s there are 245/65/17 and 265/65/17 in an all season truck tires like BFG Rugged Trail which are kinda lame. 265/70/17s come in all styles but too tall. 275/65/17 are 31.3 and are almost double in cost compared to 265s. Any ideas?

Brad
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

WOW, I just did some looking. You're right there is not much choice for 17".

The Baja's above are about the most agressive that I've seen. Be careful though Mickey's tend to run slightly larger than advertised.

I did find these: Yokohama AVS

The 285/60-17 is 11.5" wide and 30.4" dia.

The tread might be a little better and it is a radial, but it doesn't have those cool side lugs.

:oops: maybe I shouldn't have "diss't" the Mickey's before I did some looking :oops:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

Mickey's tech line says thier a 265/70/17 will fit because of the offset of my wheels. I am going to look into thier MTX radial.

Brad
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

on a 17 x9" rim even with 5" of bs. you will rub with 30's even with a 2" bl. there is a big difference between 15x7 and 15x8 much less the 15x9, it pushes out the tire that much more. mabey find a place that can put some used 30's on just to test them out or something. rubbing suck and will damager your fenders and embarrase you when turning a corner :oops:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

I have got 7 inches of BS. My local shop gave me the # to call Mickey Thompson and the name of thier expert. They said if it won't fit to ship it back for a refund. They said it will rub the frame but the stops can be adjusted. So we will se what happens.

Brad
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ya, 7" of bs will rub. so what size tire are you going with. i wouldnt go over 30"
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]