i am so sorry for another tire fitment question

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

chloe51904
Regular
Regular

i am so sorry for another tire fitment question

Post by chloe51904 »

i have been reading this forum for awhile and haven't seen info on this so, here goes. i have a 02' cc and i have 235/75s on it with no lift and no problems. i was thinking of getting 29x10.5 or a 265/70. the 265/70 is really 29.6x10.43 which is like a 29x10.5. i have read that the 31x10.5 with the bl lift, tb crank, and shackles they still rub some. i'am only intending on doing the tb crank and shackles. i didn't want to go all the way to a 31 but, i do want width. i am looking at getting an a/t tire unless i can find a cheap m/t cause drive 70% on pavement but, i would drive more off road if i had a more aggressive tire than what i got not. i live on a dirt road well sand/dirt mix any suggestions on tires too?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: i am so sorry for another tire fitment question

Post by HenryJ »

Put a tire up on the curb and turn the wheel to where the corner of the sidewall comes closest to the rear of the front fender. Take a measurement. How much room do you have? Do the same on the other side and let us know what you find.
Those tires on the stock wheels and a rounded tread design , might clear for city driving, but it might be too close for comfort. Plan on them using 1/2" of the space you have now.
I ran the Geolandars for a while. They were a very short 31. IIRC they were closer to 30. I did gave the 2" BL. Personally, I would not try bigger than the 29 without a 2" BL, but I would not be without the BL for more reasons than just the tires.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Put a tire up on the curb and turn the wheel to where the corner of the sidewall comes closest to the rear of the front fender. Take a measurement. How much room do you have? Do the same on the other side and let us know what you find.
Those tires on the stock wheels and a rounded tread design , might clear for city driving, but it might be too close for comfort. Plan on them using 1/2" of the space you have now.
I ran the Geolandars for a while. They were a very short 31. IIRC they were closer to 30. I did gave the 2" BL. Personally, I would not try bigger than the 29 without a 2" BL, but I would not be without the BL for more reasons than just the tires.
It is easy to look at clearance when the wheels are straight. Brule has busted my chops more than once on this issue. Feel free to try to reinvent the wheel but, plan on becoming friends with a sawzall unless, you are just mall crawling and being careful to avoid elevated driveways.

[img]http://curbly_uploads_production.s3.amazonaws.com/photos/0000/0001/1440/sawzall_large.jpg[/img]
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
chloe51904
Regular
Regular

Post by chloe51904 »

i'll have to measure as soon as i can even if i went with a 29 would the 10.5 width be an issue? i am leaning more toward the tb and shackles due to that is under $100 and the wife don't want it that high. she can't understand the point in lifts and doing things to a vehicle. i wanting a wider tire cause of living in sand. i found a 29x10.5 that is an a/t that is good for on and off road. i have a friend that had these and i like the looks of them.

http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=12&g=1
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Those are a domestic case and will run true to size or larger. That will not help you. The tires you are running now are likely closer to 28". That will lose 1/2" of clearance. Now add the width to that. In my experience you don't lose that whole 3/4", usually closer to 1/2". Add those two together and you have a reduction of 1". Do you have that much room?

I am not going to say no way since with the stock wheels it might be close. You will have a good idea once you measure. Plan on massaging the pinch weld. A BFH will take care of that.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
chloe51904
Regular
Regular

Post by chloe51904 »

i'll have to measure tomorrow. what kind of tire would you suggest then for a some what wide tire than a 235?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

9" wide , or the 235 is as wide as I would go on mine with no lift. The added width might slightly improve the foot print, but personally given the choice I would go taller rather than wider. Read the thread on "tire selection for expedition travel". The narrower tire aired down offers better traction. In my terrain the narrow tire is the best way to go.

I was able to rub mine with the stock optional offroad tires. Those are the 237/75-15 tires.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rich K.
Crew
Crew

Post by Rich K. »

One question I have in conjunction with this post is that when I did my fender cuts the directions referenced the Skidz flare templates. I didn't have the template so I just did my best guess using the pictures. I got it right 3 out of 4 times. I have some more cover up for the one, but it isn't too bad. Is there help for those who may do the cuts with the sawsall, but don't have the $$ for the Skidz flares with the templates? :?:

Are the Skidz flares the ones they use for the ZR2? If we have a viable fix for the problems with the flares I would like to look into it some day.
[size=75]Drive it in, tow it out! Thats our motto...[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rich K. wrote:Is there help for those who may do the cuts with the sawsall, but don't have the $$ for the Skidz flares with the templates?
The Skidz flares are no longer in production. A few sets still exist. The templates never came with them. I did those and have them available for anyone who wants them. All I need is to receive a SASE and I send them right out.
Are the Skidz flares the ones they use for the ZR2?
No.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rich K.
Crew
Crew

Post by Rich K. »

So the obvious question for the laymen is ... Will the ZR2 flares work on our CCs? I have a feeling I know the answer... :crazy:
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I'd say NO. I know the rear fenders are from Isuzu and totaly unlike ZR2 , the fronts have a different opening size and flare to the edge. The old S-10Crewcab.com site had a list of Mods. with discriptions and pictures that had all you would need to do the Skidz cuts to your fenders, but I don't know what happened to that REAL information. :shrug: 8)
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
Rich K.
Crew
Crew

Post by Rich K. »

Horsehammerr wrote: The old S-10Crewcab.com site had a list of Mods. with discriptions and pictures that had all you would need to do the Skidz cuts to your fenders, but I don't know what happened to that REAL information. :shrug: 8)
I know the info you are referring to. It was a wealth of good knowledge on the .com site. I tried to access it again, but no luck. I used it to make the Skidz cuts when I did mine, but I don't have the flares. I didn't know about getting the templates from Brule so I just made my best guess using the pictures from the sticky. It worked out, but it would be nice to have another option similar to the Skidz. I like the way they look over the CC flares. :2: :)
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Some of us that run ZR5's have done the Skidz cut to our fenders and matched the cutz to the stock flares. Looks good and doesn't cost $600 for the extra 1/2" of coverage. If you go to Fallvitals Marvelous Mystery Lift thread he details the whole mod very well. I think you can access that thread on the search page. 8)
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rich K. wrote:
Horsehammerr wrote: The old S-10Crewcab.com site had a list of Mods. with discriptions and pictures that had all you would need to do the Skidz cuts to your fenders, but I don't know what happened to that REAL information
I know the info you are referring to. It was a wealth of good knowledge on the .com site. I tried to access it again, but no luck.
It is all back and now on the S-10CREWCAB.NET Website. The logo above is linked to our website too.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

We all have to remember that not all trucks rubbed with stock tires or even the larger tires with no lift. I ran atleast two sets of 30x9.5's without hitting and no torsion bar crank or Boise kit. I recently got new tires and should have seen if I could have gone with 31's since I've done the crank and Boise kit a set of tires or two ago. :shrug:
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by paintballrocker »

I ran atleast two sets of 30x9.5's without hitting and no torsion bar crank or Boise kit.
i have 30x9.5 with just a tbar crank
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
chloe51904
Regular
Regular

Post by chloe51904 »

just put on a set of kumho a/t tires and i love them i went with the 30x9.5 and a tb crank and wow what a difference its actually starting to look like a 4x4/truck and not a soccer mom mobile wife is going to kill me due to us agreeing on me not going up in tire size yet but uhm too late i do love my cc more now though just need to get my rear shackles now
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

I am also running 30x9.5 with just the torsion bar crank and Boise kit. maxxis bighorn $550 full set on ebay shipped. they rub alittle on hard frount impacts but so far thats it.
chloe51904
Regular
Regular

Post by chloe51904 »

no rubbing and i got shackles on the way already ordered. i have always wanted a blacked out 4x4 truck.
what it looks like so far
what it looks like so far
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

The upsizing of tires depends on what you actually use your rigs for. Filling out your profile would assist other members to recommend ideas based on your terrain with your locale. Some members have merely changed back spacing on new wheels and had rubbing issues in New Jersey at work sites with stock sized tires. Some of us actually wheel the CCs and others fall into the "Mall Crawler" category. I guess all I am trying to say is that we need to know what end result that you are seeking.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
chloe51904
Regular
Regular

Post by chloe51904 »

i do dirt/sand roads, some mud, street, and some soft sand. i live on a dirt/sand road and my in home daycare is on a dirt/sand road. i do 20 miles of street driving to work. i did end up with the 30x9.5 kumho a/t tires and they are more aggressive than i thought they were going to be and do pretty good. i did a tb crank and they don't rub or give me any problems and as soon as i have the time i already have the shackles for the rear end. i guess that my main thing is that i don't wanna get stuck at any point but, on the same hand i don't do enough mud riding to get m/t tires.