Shields / skidplates what works and what doesn't

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Shields / skidplates what works and what doesn't

Post by barch97 »

knaffie wrote:I've heard the crew cabs don't come with any skidplates
what did these plates come off of? blazer? s10? I don't think the regular and ext cab s10's plates will match up on a crewcab but the blazer's will... or maybe I have that backwards...

I have heavily edited this thread to clear up confusion on my part. I wanted to retain the information that is correct. My apologies if someone takes offense-HJ
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

yeah, I'm pretty sure the front of the crewcab is the same as the blazer.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

barch97 wrote:yeah, I'm pretty sure the front of the crewcab is the same as the blazer.
EDIT: Found the information-
HenryJ wrote:The picture of the differing composite shield is reported to be off a 2001 ZR2 Blazer-
Dingman wrote:
All we could figure is that the Blaz skidplate (aluminum) is shorter than the ZR2 pickup version (composite). Check out the pic, easily 2" difference from bolt hole to bolt hole.
Ours need to look just like this set, that Art has now-
Last edited by HenryJ on Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

The paperwork I got with my skids (I bought them from gmpartsdirect) said they would work on any 94 and up S series vehicle. This includes trucks, Blazer, Jimmy and Bravada. It said nothing about ZR2. Perhaps in 03 they changed the front end on the ZR2 resulting in a different front skid. I believe previous years ZR2 skids would work on anything.

knaffie, even though the aluminum front skid might not fit your Z, the diff carrier/oil pan and the t-case skid should work.

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

When I ordered my shields I used a 1997 S-10 as the application. I was told the same thing '94-up S-series. No different number for the ZR2, Highrider, Blazer, Jimmy, etc.

Obviously there is a different front shield. I think Mark had a friend who ran into this problem.

So are we sure just where the differing shield comes from? I'm thinking that it is infact the ZR2 that has a differing shield-

In this photo the aluminum shield is the one that looks most like mine.
Last edited by HenryJ on Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

Yes... the aluminum shield in the picture looks exactly like mine.

Barch, put a bid on knaffie's aluminum skids. They will fit and are a lot tougher and look better than the composite skids.

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Ok, time to eat some more crow....I was wrong again :!: the ZR2 truck front shield is in fact different and will not work on our crew cabs.

I had knaffie take some measurements since he had both shields on hand-
knaffie wrote:If you measure from the front of the outer mounting tab (the tab with 2 holes in it, not the front of the skidplate in the center) to the back of the skidplate, the truck is 17" and the Blazer is 15". Measuring CTC on the holes would be difficult based on the geometry of the part.
Our shield measures 15"

Looks like we need shields off of a Non-Z truck and/or Blazer.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

That is correct the front shield off my 95 Z will not fit my crewcab. So the Z' s are different on the front shield, the rest will fit.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

HenryJ wrote:...the ZR2 truck front shield is in fact different and will not work on our crew cabs. ...Looks like we need shields off of a Non-Z truck and/or Blazer.
Brule, Maybe this info should be added to skid plates link on the mods page.

Pete
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Retep wrote:...Maybe this info should be added to skid plates link on the mods page...
Sounds like a good idea. I'll update the page ASAP.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

So skid plates aren't available off of the gmparts direct website anymore... discontinued!

"12496888, I am sorry the part number you requested has been discontinued
and is no longer available from GM. You will have to find an aftermarket
source for this part. You may be able to locate one through VPI (Vintage
Parts Inc.) at 1 (877)846-8243."
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Have your local dealership do a national database search of all GM dealerships and I'm sure you will locate the full skid plate set part # 12496888. :wink:

The last time I checked a couple So. California dealerships had them in stock.

Steve
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I've talked to pretty much every dealer I can find and to no avail. They also checked the database and couldn't find any: "I don't see a dealer in the country having it". The only help was to look at a vintage parts store online who didn't have the shields in stock!
Last edited by green02crew on Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

LMC Truck has them for a higher price.

I would also check E-Bay and Craigslist once a week. :wink:

Steve
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

haha at those prices it would cost the same to let everything drag and replace it!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

Be patient, a used set will show-up sooner or later. I recently installed a set that I purchased from a member of the forum. Check the local salvage yards and the classifieds of this and other S series forums.
Check this link to see if B-Man still has the set that he is selling.
http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6127

Good luck!
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Oh thanks I'll def look into that!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Well theres some news on plates, s10warehouse has found it profitable to sell plates now. Looks like the hunting can be done for us, but you pay for it, I don't see any aluminum ones in now but atleast we know they do it.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

green02crew wrote:So skid plates aren't available off of the gmparts direct website anymore... discontinued!

"12496888, I am sorry the part number you requested has been discontinued
and is no longer available from GM. You will have to find an aftermarket
source for this part. You may be able to locate one through VPI (Vintage
Parts Inc.) at 1 (877)846-8243."

Alrighty, i thought I had a set of skids secured for me,,, but apperantly not. the guy apperantly found out he could make more money off of em, so, now i can still get em, itll just cost me more if he ever makes up his mind. It erks me cause he said "Consider them yours." :twisted:

But i was browsing GM parts direct with the item numbers on the modification page, and they have the skids now. Any one know why they apperantly brought em back from being discontinued? but fairly pricey....

But im gonna call around the few local salvage yards tomorrow see what i can find. Never dealt with a salvage yard, i bet it will be interesting....

The one i have been to, deliveirng packages (I work at UPS) was quiet interesting....

also, is aluminum better then carbon fiber (strength?) or any reason to look for one over the other?

edit- if by some chance I could call my local dealer and find part #12496888 (the full skid package) that has every thing needed, and the correct front shield right?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

fallvitals wrote:...is aluminum better then carbon fiber (strength?) or any reason to look for one over the other?
Each has advantages. Aluminum handles abrasion better, but it bends. Composite is lighter and quieter, but it degrades when abraded or impacted. Each does a good job protecting.
I prefer aluminum for the terrain I frequent.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

alrighty, i figured there were pros/cons, wanted to ask first. but what about:
edit- if by some chance I could call my local dealer and find part #12496888 (the full skid package) that has every thing needed, and the correct front shield right?
?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Check the mod page for the part number and what it includes.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I did, i was just making sure with all the fuss about what fits and what dont, im assuming. yes.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I don't think it will be an issue as I do not see the kit as being available any more. The number is pretty old now and I don't see it as having been superseded.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

well, I found a couple gm sites last night that said they have the kit instock, called me, nope they dont.

Called my dealer, said they could get the shield individually, but not as a kit, so it would end up being twice as much.

called 3 salvage yards, nothing. Called one about an hour away.

and (as of right now) JACKPOT! I asked about an s-10, before I could mention Blazer plates also working, he said they have some blazers there that had plates too, they probably have 8 sets in building. He said if they are in good condition, when they take em off they set em in the vehicle.

I asked if he could make sure they had a full set before I drive an hour there, he said sure, just give him an hour cause every one is out to lunch. So.. Hopefully its the full set, non zr2, with engine mounting bracket. BUt I need to et some grass cut, that will help time pass faster, lol.

edit - called em back.. i forgot to mention to him that the front cant be a ZR2 skid. and Forot to ask if the brackets for the engine skid was included... He said, he wasnt sure, he didnt ask his guys cuase i didnt ask, whcih I should have (he also said he wasnt gripin' at me, lol) but he was confident they had a non zr2, and the mounting stuff, becuase they, acording t him, have quite a few of em, they have enough to get me what i need. So, ill give him a ring in a bout an hour, and hopefully be making a trip to Huntington (1 hour drive) tommorow to buy em :)

Darn,, forgot to ask aboutt he price...
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

eh, the front plate they found was a ZR2 plate, but the guy says he is sure they have a non zr2 front plate. he is suppose to check in the morning.

They also said the plates were "fiberglass" which im assuming thats means they are carbonfiber. I asked him for a price and he said he didnt check em out personally, so... I guess tomorrow I will know what they got for me.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

The junk yard said they found me a complete set, i beleive all carbon fibe, skids, with a non ZR2 front skid. $75

First, i have done a lot of reading here, seems like as long as the front skid isnt a zr2 the plates should fit my truck no problem, is there something I should check out before I leave the junkyard tomororow? (im driving an hour there).

And mounting the engine plate. the mod page here says I need "Qty. needed-4 (mushroom headed) Torx Bolt # 14062942 list $6.30 ea."

$6.30 each for 4 bolts?!?!?! Thats $25 for 4 bolts.... No way.... Can any one give me some good info there? Do they have to be torx? Whats wrong with a normal hex head bolt?

And they said they cant fidn the mounting bracket for the engine plate, nor know what im talking about. I bet its still bolted to the truck,, seem very possible to you all? im thinking about taking a diagram of the parts to show em what i mean. One less part to buy at the dealer to install em..
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Hex heads will either stop you cold on a rock or get ripped off. If, you can get the correct thread size Lowes and Fastenal will have them for cheaper. The brackets you seek are still on the vehicles and often a bear to take off.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The mushroom head bolts are step bolts and very nice to have if you can find them. The brackets attach to the front axle mount bolts. Easily still on the vehicle if the axle still is there. If not they usually either get tossed in with the bolts or discarded. No way to mount without both of them.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I was thinking that about hex heads getting ripped off, but was hoping that wasnt the answer, lol.

GOod info on them being a step bolt, that will make a differance. And I have a Fastenal just down the road.

Now the million dollar question.... Does any one know the correct bolt size? And also what size self-tapping screw for the transfer case skid? Or am i just gonna have to get a bunch of bolts and play with em till i find the right size?

Im not sure if I am gonna get the ones at the junk yard (carbon fiber) or this set i found on the net (aluminum, used, tarnished, but fine) The ones from the net has the brackets, and the guy thinks he has the screws, he has to look. Hm... I think ill try for the aluminums first.. they seem better then carbon fiber to me, and are shallower then the carbon fiber transfer case skid.

hoping this is my last questions, but im full of em...

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cst/full.aspx?Page=38

Part #14, a grommet, I dont see that mentioned on the mod page of itmes needed? Any info on this?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

#14 is the plastic piece that isolates the two differing metals and acts as a barrier. Looks just like the plastic pieces that you thread license plate bolts into.

The correct metric bolt sizes are in one of the threads already. 10 mm x1.25 self tapping IIRC.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

great info. I wonder if GM has that grommet/isolator piece..

Good info on the bolts too, I didn't know there was already a bolt in plce of one of the holes, that will make it easier.

Still not sure if i want to get the crabon fiber set without the brakcets from the junk yard, or the aluminum set with brackets on the net..... I think when its all said and done the price will be pretty much equal (including gas to drive to the junkyard). Hm Hm Hm..
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The auto parts store has the isolators if some are missing. They are the same as the license plate bolt inserts.

Two for the brackets and three for the engine plate.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Thanks, that definantly helps.

I think im gonna try for the aluminum set on the net... Mainly becuase of the transfer case skid, With the low ground clearnace of the Crew Cab, I dont want to loose an inch to the carbonfiber transfer case skid....
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Depending upon which of three transfercase shields you acquire. Those for the autotrac vehicles had a deep sump and are as deep as the composite shields.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

HenryJ wrote:Depending upon which of three transfercase shields you acquire. Those for the autotrac vehicles had a deep sump and are as deep as the composite shields.
The aluminum transfer skid is shallow, Iv seen pictures of it. So, definantly has the advantage on clearance over the carbon fiber. Looks like the skid has seen some action, scraped up, and tarnished, but looks like its in good shape other then that. (or it could just be weathering on the it rather then scrapes, idk. the engine skid looks nearly new, and the front skid just dirty, and weathered)

edit - Last question.. those self tapping screws... do they need to have the same type head as the torx?
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I lied, another question... Im pretty certain im gonna get the carbon fiber skids from the junkyard. The aluminum ones look like they are gonna be more expensive the nthe carbon fiber ones. (Maybe with all the skid plates they say they have they have an aluminum transfer case skid plate i can get instead of carbon fiber. Thats all im really concerned about, the shallow transfer case skid)

If they have, acording to them, atleast 8 sets of paltes, im sure atleast one s10/blazer still has those brackets installed, given the front end is still attached.

My question, Does it matter if those brackets come off of a ZR2? or does it have to be from a NON-ZR2? (I ask becuase of LMC parts list has a ZR2 and non ZR2 bracket for the skid plate)
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

fallvitals wrote:I..............My question, Does it matter if those brackets come off of a ZR2? or does it have to be from a NON-ZR2? (I ask becuase of LMC parts list has a ZR2 and non ZR2 bracket for the skid plate)
I am guessing that if, LMC is offering 2 part numbers then you have your answer. What we do know is that everything except the front and fuel tank shields works. I do not recall the brackets being addressed before but, they may have been and I over looked it

I traded a nice ZR2 in on my CC but, I really never paid attention to it when I had it. If, I had discovered forums when I owned it then, I'd have a ramjet V8 equipped ZR2 sitting on '78 Ford 3/4 ton axles sitting in my driveway instead of the CC and a Rubicon.

The synthetic shields are very durable but, don't show your hand on how coveted the aluminum ones are. :lol: You may have stumbled over a second career. :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The brackets are used to mount the engine plate. All the engine plates fit. I have seen no difference in the brackets.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

good info, I got under my truck and looked at wher those brackets are suppose to be, right beside the oil pan right? Well looks like they should stil be there on the junkyard vehicles. Atleast a few of em...

Last question.. those self tapping screws... do they need to have the same type head as the torx?

Maybe im dense, but I dont understand what you was saying f9k9 about the aluminum plates, and a second career? Lost me, lol.

Looks like the aluminums are out of reach,, not totally sure yet, but im betting im gonna have a carbonfiber set.....
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

fallvitals wrote:those self tapping screws... do they need to have the same type head as the torx?....
They don't NEED to and do not have a mushroom head like the engine plate retention screws. The have a 15mm hex head.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

fallvitals wrote:...........Maybe im dense, but I dont understand what you was saying f9k9 about the aluminum plates, and a second career? Lost me, lol. .......
I simply meant if, you stumbled upon a stash of alum. skids and the seller was unaware of their value then, you could make a killing. :wink:

If, I had known how difficult it is to attain them now when I bought my front shield new in '04 for $40 from a connection, I would have ordered 20 or more. :lol:
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Ahhhh, that makes more sense, lol.

Yeah didnt get those aluminum ones... I found this guy on craigslist in New Jersey selling a complete set for $60. I told him, I would take em, send a paypal payment tonight, if he would be willing to ship. Turns out they were also on ebay. But he told me "Consider them yours." Till the auction had bids (the auction was listed as local pick up only) and they were no longer considered mine :roll:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... &viewitem=

That was them. But, the junkyard an hour away said they had atleast 8 sets of skids. But the front non-ZR2 skid was harder to find I guess, but they have a set there that will fit my truck. Maybe while im there I can see if they have any aluminum skids....

But, $75 for a set of skids from the junkyard.. not bad at all. Hopefully I/they can find me the brackets on a blazer/s-10 to save me $30 having to buy em from the dealer.

I should see if they have an old silverado reel light for under the hood while im there... (mod page).
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

alrighty.

Good news and bad.. (for me)

Went to the junkyard, told them I called earlier in the week and what I wanted. Told them the front plate had to be a non-zr2 skid, just like I told em on the phone. The one guy told me the only skid plates that GM put on s-10s/blazers were in the ZR2s :roll: I said, no, thats not true. I told em there was a differance in the ZR2 front skid and non ZR2s, but the other plates are good to go. They found me the front diff/engine skid and transfer case skid. had the ZR2 front skid, but no good for me.

The guy went searching for a non-ZR2 front skid. Found me one, awesome I thought. Went to check out, and checked outt hat front skid real good, and it was the stock plastic one! :twisted:

So... I walked out of there with the front diff/engine skid and transfer case skid, carbon fiber, for $50 but no mounting brackets (all the front ends were removed, no go). Brackets are gonna be $32ish from the Stealership. They have to order em.

here they are cleaned up, i washed em with a preasure washer. and they are still dirty! It took a while to clean em with the preasure washer too!

Now a question, I dont think this will effect the skids integrity. But it looks liek the carbon fiber is starting to become, unwoven areas of the edge on the engine/front diff skid plate. Is this gonna hurt any thing? Is there any thing I can do to help keep it from doing that?

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

:oops: another question..

i went and fitted the two plates udner the truck, and wow does that transfer case kill the little bit of ground clearance in that spot.. but the engine skid plate. Waiting for the dealer to get those brackets in, all 4 bolts that hold that sucker on are the same size, right?

Well, looking at where the front two holes are for the engine skid, those are very small holes for a bolt, and dont appear to be threaded? Is that right? :?:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Those bolts are the Mushroom head torx step bolts. They are smaller and self tapping as well. Be sure they have the spring washer and isolator washers on them. If they don't you can substitute a washer and rubber gasket made from belting or a garden hose gasket will work in a pinch.

Those areas without resin on the corners of the composite plate are "normal". Nothing I know that you can do for them. Some are better than others in that respect. Once impacted they all sort of start looking that way.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Wait, if all 4 of the frontdiff/engine skid bolts are self tapping, why do they need nuts? and why would you need a self tapping bolt to go into that bracket? Seems that bracket will already be threaded when i get it?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yes, the bracket will be threaded if used, or if new the bolt will cut threads. You may need to add a nut to the back side of the bracket too as they strip out really easily. I think I have nuts on both of mine.
The front slots slip on the front bolts. They go blind into the crossmember so adding nuts is not really an option. If they strip you would need to add Nutserts.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Ahh, im sure finding these bolts is gonna be a pain... I couldnt even locate anything similier on fastenal's website.

So,, I need a few mushroom headed Torx Step Bolts that are self tapping? I can see the fun times ahead of me... lol.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Here I am again!!!

Picked up those brackets today fro mthe stealership... hindsight,,, i should have just let them keep em and ordered them when I order the front skid from gmpartsdirect.com $21 from gmpartsdirect and it was $33 at the stealership,,,, and they have a 25% restocking fee :!:

Im thinking im just gonna bite the bullet and when I order the front skid plate in a few weeks just order those 4 bolts then from gm parts... $20 for 4 bolts is still bad, but its not nearly $40 like the stealership.... plus I bet I couldnt find em around here anyways....

Two questions,

Those brackets... they have a round hole thats flared up for the self tapping screw, That I understand. But beside it is a square hole. I dont understand what that square hole is for?

And does any one kow the GM item number of the self tapping screws for the transfer case skid? Or would those be a ton easier to find then the mentioned screws? I cant recall if I asked, do the transfer case skid screws need to be torx? :oops:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

fallvitals wrote:... brackets... they have a round hole thats flared up for the self tapping screw, That I understand. But beside it is a square hole. I dont understand what that square hole is for?
Read above where I described the isolators.
The parts store sells the plastic license plate inserts. That is what they are.
...do the transfer case skid screws need to be torx? :oops:
Read above. You did ask.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

HenryJ wrote:The auto parts store has the isolators if some are missing. They are the same as the license plate bolt inserts.

Two for the brackets and three for the engine plate.
Okay, so, those isolators go in the square hole. Im assuming as a 'cushion' of sorts.

But only 3 of the 4 bolts in the eninge plate need the isolators? Which one of the four mounting hoels does not need one? :?:

Sorry for the dumb, and apperantly repetative questions... :oops:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Front isolators are in the shield.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I still don't not quite understand all that.. but ill get it to work.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Once it is all sitting in front of you it will make more sense. IIRC, the composite shields may not use the front isolators. In that case you just need the two for the brackets.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Well what is their purpose? just to provide a little cushion?

I actually found a whole pack of those rubber isolator/license plate grommet things, new in the package in the tool box the other day.

Im gonna go tommorow get a tranny flush.filter change. Then after seeing what happens this weekend, order the plate and those rediculiously priced bolts and front skid this weekend or after payday next week. Im assuming the new skid GM sells is carbon, and not aluminum too, if any one knows? LMC sells the plates, carbon or aluminum, but heck they are more pricey then dealer list price! :x I didn't know that was possible...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Isolators isolate two dissimilar metals.
Don't forget the spring washers, or cut some big washers from belting.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

HenryJ wrote:Once it is all sitting in front of you it will make more sense. IIRC, the composite shields may not use the front isolators. In that case you just need the two for the brackets.
That exactly right, i was looking at a parts diagram,, the aluminum skids have the 3 holes for those isolators, carbon fiber doesnt. lol, makes a heck of a lot more sence now. Well,, im ordering the front skid, 4 mounting bolts, and a coin holder for the console (one of the spring and plastic 'level' for the dime slot is missing, even if i never use it, it will irck me that it isnt right). So, I should have the stuff maybe mid next week,,, gmpartsdirect, from what i read, is slow on shipping.

Ill post some pictures once I get em all installed.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I have ordered a few things from GM Parts Direct and shipping was actually quite fast I was suprised as I heard the same thing. The items were special order as well.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Thats good to know on shipping. If it does come this week, I probably wont have time til the wekend to mess with it. Im part-time at my job, waiting for a FT spot,, but I get to cover some full timers this week, plus grass cutting, and still in search for a second pt or ft job. lol.

But ill have to go out and ge some plastic washers and lock(spring) washers. Definantly aint paying dealer pricing for something I can get from lowes. lol. Oh and those transfer case skid bolts.. any ways, have a good easter guys, hopefully i can finally let this thread die, lol.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

FedEx (gag) stopped by my house today, dropped off my GMpartsdirect.com order.I was expecting a carbon fiber front shield. Was shocked the see the shiny aluminum goodnes of a thick and heavy aluminum non zr2 front shield. I didnt think the aluminum shields would be so thick and heavy. makes the carbon fibers look extremely cheap and weak...

ill try to get it on later today, but if not tomorrow and post some pictures.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

HenryJ wrote:#14 is the plastic piece that isolates the two differing metals and acts as a barrier. Looks just like the plastic pieces that you thread license plate bolts into.

The correct metric bolt sizes are in one of the threads already. 10 mm x1.25 self tapping IIRC.
:x :twisted: :evil:

#1 those step, torx, self tapping gm bolts for the engine shield. will fit the rear mounting holes, but the front mounting holes are too small for the step bolt to go through... my guess is to drill the hole just a hair bigger? Any problem with this? I sure dont want to let bolts that are $5 a piece go to waste. :x

#2 the transfer case skid plate. Went to fastenal to get some similer self tapping mushroom head bolts, didnt have any thing remotely like I needed. Even with a hex head.

Went to lowes. got the washers and lock washers for the engine skid bolts. I hope that "space" the step portion of the bolt enough that I dont have to add a 2nd washer... that is a pretty big step on that bolt.

But, couldnt find any self tapping bolts for the skid in 10mm. I did find a Auto body self taping bolt. It was 3/8-16-1 ...

I think it would work.. wasnt sure, they were $1 each, so, I decided to ask here first... Do you think places like advance auto might have the 10mm x 1.25 self tapping transfer skid bolts I seek?

Nothing is ever easy... lol... never. Even getting stupid bolts.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Do they have salvage yards in WV? That is going to be the easiest place to find the right bolts.

Four torx bolts for the enige/diff shield are all that are required. Drilling should not be needed. If your composit shield has smaller holes, do not use the torx. Instead use self tapping bolts.

3/8" may be enough smaller that it will strip out the crossmembers. I would hold out for 10mm.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

great 2 bolts $5 a pop, for nothing.

The only salvage yard that had the skids didnt have any hardware.

ill try advance tomorrow for bolts... fastenal told me they carried a lot of automotive ones...

Lowes had the 8mm automotive body self taping bolts in 8mm... but they are hex head. at this point i am starting to not care what kind of head, lol.

but yup, the comosite shield apperantly has smaller holes. wooo.

thanks for the help.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The aluminum engine/diff shield has large notches for the front torx bolts. Hold on to the two extra you bought. If you ever come across an aluminum one you will need them.

Congrats on getting the aluminum front shield. Spend some time and polish it up nice.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

yeah, ill hold on to em. I ran to advance, they are open later then I thought. Guy at fastenal must have been high, their bolt selection is a joke.

Im gonna search the web for the bolts I need, I might end up getting em online.

EDIT
Man, these self tapping bolts are a pain to find, even online. Im just gonna get a 8mm 1.25 and 10mm 1.25 tap, tap the two engine skid bolt holes, and 3 transfer case holes, and just get normal torx pan head screws to put in there.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:.........Spend some time and polish it up nice.
Another trick that Brule showed me.:)

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you tap the holes use some thread locking compound. The idea behind the self tapping bolts is that they are a very tight thread fit and don't loosen with vibration as readily.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I would rather use the right bolts.. but I cant find em, even online. Well I did at one website but they were $30/10 :shock: So, ill go by Harbor Freight and get a cheap metric tap/die kit (they actually hold up fairly well, buddy in machine shop had one, it got a bit of use before they junked, just fine for occasional use).

Thanks for the tip on thread lock. I was in a toss up between using thread lock and anti-seize compound. But.. still not sure... i mean I definantly dont want those bolts to seize up....

So now, my last conundrum... Mothers or Eagle 1 Never Dull to wax this plate up with, lol. I even have a buffer in the garage I used like twice, lol. (was my grandfather, brand new, i dont think ever used before me, craftsman buffer).
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Alrighty, after some running around, getting bolts, locking washers, flat washers, and a metric tap and die set. I was finally ready.

Before the transfer case skid (didn't mean to, but yes, i followed your advice on the thread lock Henry, lol)

After, Man that hangs a lot lower then I thought it would... definantly am still gonna keep searching for aluminum skids..

You all weren't lying about that passanger side bracket/bolt being a pain. I decided to leave the crow bar in the garage. Cut the taper off the bolt, then add a taper to it, after i discovered it needed the tapper to slide in. I needed a C-Clamp to keep that, whatever it was tight against the linkage, or whatever under there... couldnt find one, so I got a channel lock plier, clamped the sucker together, while trying to wedge that bolt in the hole, then used a large ratchet to "motivate" the bolt enough to finally slide all the way in. I think i stripped the drivers side bracket out when torquing the bolt down... I guess thats better then the passnager side! (and yes, you cant tell, but i used those license plate, nylong thingys in there)

plastic vs aluminum. I put some eagle 1 never dull on it for you guys :P

You can see the front self tapping bolts for the engine skid. Fastenal said they could order what i wanted, so, ill go there monday and have them order me some panhead (or trussel head) torx in 8mm and 10mm (and whatever the front skid is). I didn't think those hex heas wuld stick out so badly. PLus they were a temporary thing till i culd get the right ones anyways.

All done!

Dad went molly moocher (morrel mushrooms) hunting yesterday. I would have went but had too many yards to cut ebfore work. He bottom out his new silverado z71 in a spot he didnt think was a deep as it was, pretty much set the truck on the runing boards, moved em just a bit.

Were taking my truck out there next week i think for some molly moocher huntin'! Now i know im protected atleast.

thanks for all the advice, especially you Henry!
Last edited by fallvitals on Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Thanks for the pictures!

I think those hex bolts will be just fine. That deep sump on the tcase shield is so there is room for the autotrac case. It hangs much lower. You will be fine with the deep sump. I ran one just like it for quite some time.

That engine/diff shield is thick, isn't it. I was impressed. It should make a great pad for that delicate cast oil pan.

Well done!

Oh, BTW it looks like your front valance (air dam) is ready for some creative trimming :) I think mark was the one who trimmed his. Worth a little search.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Thanks. Sorry i missed one and it was over 100k. :oops: fixed that.

Yeah that engine one, shocked me how thick it was. Still would love to find an aluminum set, lol. But this will be fine till then. Yeah those hex on the engine skid, might be fine... but i have hex ones on the transfer case skid too... i think those are far more exposed, they arent in a recessed area like the engine shield.

Still plan on having fastenal order me the bolts I want. If your gonna do something right...

Yeah the air dam was busted at the dealer lot,,, could complained and sure it would have been replaced, but I wasnt too worried about it.... but ill search to find the thread you are talking about. but i gotta head to work now, lol.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You may have to PM and see if he still has that picture- Bumper Trim

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Just sent him an e-mail, hopefuly he still has it. Im not sure how to trim it other then cutting that broken piece off at the corner.