Did the throttle plate mod. today

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

S10Wheels
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by S10Wheels »

I got around to doing the throttle mod. Today, here’s how it went.
I figured it made sense to cut it off only partway, the main complaint people had was a “jumpy”over sensitive throttle at slow speeds, a small bit of a diffuser would make it much easer and safer to maneuver around parking lots & such, then on the road, throttle would past the diffuser, so, using a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel & a fine grinding wheel. I cut it off about 2/3 of the way, leaving a diffuser of around 4 mm. & used the fine stone to carefully shape & smooth the edge.
I just installed it today, so my info. Isn’t complete at all yet. After I decided that the lok-tite had set long enough (about 45 min.), I took the truck for a short run, It started & idled like normal . As I went down my driveway I thought “it does nothing”, when I pulled onto the street & opened it up, I felt a little more pressure on my back & looked down at the speedo, I had gotten to 65 mph. Faster than before. I rode 5 more miles and pulled into a little park & stopped, it settled down to an even 600 rpm. idle. then I turned around and pulled out on the road heading home, from a 50 mph. Cruising speed, I punched it down about ¾ way to the floor, it still had a lag time before kickdown (but that may be my PCM tune-a different problem to deal with). Back home, idled fine. No CEL all was fine.
As far as other benefits & problems go , I’ll let you know soon, but right away it put some “ompph” into my little truck. For a little, fast mod. it was well worth trying. & I
thank HenryJ for selling me a throttle plate to cut, so I could keep my factory blade intact
:rock:
'03 S-10 ext. cab 4.3, truck top, CAI intake, reprogrammed PCM, Throttle blade mod., e-fans, 180* thermo., Flowmaster 50, Clear corner & tailgate lighls, LED's all around, Camaro RS/Z28 wheels, Sony HU, Sony Spkrs. in doors, small amp. & Sub., converted to power windows, bucket seats & floor console, big 3 mod, AD 244 alt.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Did the throttle plate mod. today

Post by HenryJ »

Glad to hear it is a success.
The "little touchy" I experienced was only in low range. I was able to adapt to that. It is a better throttle response. Less dulled.
The big difference is not as noticeable on the install. You can really feel it once you become acustomed to the modded blade and swap back to stock. I swear that when I did that the truck would just not get away from the stop sign at all :mad: , right back into the driveway and swapped back to the "diffuser free" blade.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

:thumb:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
S10Wheels
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by S10Wheels »

HenryJ wrote:Glad to hear it is a success.
The "little touchy" I experienced was only in low range. I was able to adapt to that. It is a better throttle response. Less dulled.
The big difference is not as noticeable on the install. You can really feel it once you become acustomed to the modded blade and swap back to stock. I swear that when I did that the truck would just not get away from the stop sign at all :mad: , right back into the driveway and swapped back to the "diffuser free" blade.
I kinda' know even now, that if I was to put the stock blade back in, I wouldn't like it and put the moded blade back in, and I haven't even discovered all the good things about this mod. yet! It's hard to imagion that I've been driving around on a factory throttle blade for 5 1/2 years, oh well, better late than never.
'03 S-10 ext. cab 4.3, truck top, CAI intake, reprogrammed PCM, Throttle blade mod., e-fans, 180* thermo., Flowmaster 50, Clear corner & tailgate lighls, LED's all around, Camaro RS/Z28 wheels, Sony HU, Sony Spkrs. in doors, small amp. & Sub., converted to power windows, bucket seats & floor console, big 3 mod, AD 244 alt.
stukapilot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by stukapilot »

I just finished this mod. Took about fifteen minutes, and all I can say is WOW!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Great "seat-of-the-pants" instant gratification. Same sort of feeling after you have done the body lift and it no longer looks like a "soccer grandma" truck.
I went back to stock once after I had the mod for a while. That was a bad idea. It felt like a slug.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
stukapilot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by stukapilot »

Yeah, I'm really liking it, BL is next..................
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by raven2510 »

I have never looked back after this mod. Best one so far...
1999 Chevy S10 ZR2
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Pretty cool how one of the best mods is a free one.

Steve
JORSWIFT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by JORSWIFT »

What is the throttle plate mod? I searched but couldnt find any step by step.
JORSWIFT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by JORSWIFT »

n/m found it. Thanks.
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

Hey Wheels,

How's that T-Blade mod? If you did it again would you cut the whole thing off or is the 2/3 cut perferable?
[size=75]03 ZR5 Crew Cab[/size]
Cherokeez71
Regular
Regular

Post by Cherokeez71 »

I cut the entire thing off and ported and polished my mass airflow sensor. I felt a huge difference in power and gas mileage. It helped the get up and go concidering the 11 inches of lift and the big tires. Can't wait to see how much better it is with 4.56 gears instead of 3.73.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I have three of them. One stock one, one cut half and one cut all the way off. I put the one that's cut all the way off in and the trans shifts way to soon when you are getting into it. It will shift into over drive at 52. Then you have to push the skinny peddle harder to down shift to get going again.
I like the one that's cut half off. You have the fake feeling that you have more power but the shift points are like stock.
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
Cherokeez71
Regular
Regular

Post by Cherokeez71 »

I never had a problem shifting to soon but I have my trans set up to shift harder and the line pressure turned up. I may not feel as much with the lift and tires but Im enjoying it gotta send my pcm off to get tuned tho cause get check engine code mass air flow sensor is reading out of circuit I know the sensor is fine cause I've put three in all the same code guessing to much air going through