Locking differential

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Beastcabs10

Locking differential

Post by Beastcabs10 »

Anybody installed a locking diff on their s10? Just wondering get what brand yell went with before I buy.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Locking differential

Post by HenryJ »

The stock rear is pretty flexy. Best to upgrade to the ZR2 rear axle. Many of those will have the GovLoc. I like them :)
If you really want a locker and do mostly offroad the lunchbox lockers (Powertrax) do work. They can be harsh and really beat the axles and transmission though.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Beastcabs10

Post by Beastcabs10 »

If I do fine a zr2 axel with the right gearing the drive shaft and everything should fit on the same right?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Should. Some had a different size U-joint and require and adapted cross to fit the driveshaft. Mine was direct bolt in :) If you have 3.73 ratio the odds are in your favor as most were that ratio I believe.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Fv195

Post by Fv195 »

Powertrax locker. Love it, 4wd not needed much anymore
Ezrollin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Ezrollin »

The ZR2 rear will be hard to find and expensive and isn't necessary unless you intend to do some severe off roading, in which case you will also need to reinforce your frame. Do some online research on the different types of units available, they all have pros and cons.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Zr2 axle is a huge upgrade over the original axle in these trucks. No frame reinforcement required, other than the ujoint it’s a straight swap that couldn’t be easier. For a 3.73 truck that has issues with the original rear axle, it’s a no brainer in my opinion. Is that what I did? No, I went with a cab and chassis 14 bolt with 4.10s and a Detroit locker. It’s, uh, slightly bigger....
southernzr5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by southernzr5 »

STUCKY, do you happen to know what u-joint is needed? Part number? I got a zr2 axle the other day and plan on swapping in my crew.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Sorry, I don’t know a part number that will work, but what I’d do is, have them look up for your truck (driveshaft yoke) and the truck the axle came out of (axle yoke), and go from there. Hopefully it will be the same, easy peasy. If it’s not the same, there are conversion u joints available where half of the cross is 1 size and the other half is another size, also easy peasy. Good luck!
southernzr5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by southernzr5 »

Will try that, Thank you sir!