What is flaming?

Forum rules, questions, How-to's for posting pictures and making links, etc..

Moderator: HenryJ

Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

What is flaming?

Post by Steve2003 »

Split topic-HJ
Hj wrote: Good luck with selling your tires, and don't worry about flaming here.
What does flaming mean? :shrug:

Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I wondered that myself but didnt wanna be the 1 to ask :)
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

In other forums people make "mean" fun of people and try to belittle them.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Steve2003 wrote:
Hj wrote: Good luck with selling your tires, and don't worry about flaming here.

Steve
what a stoopit question, n00b

^ flaming ^
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I don't know where the term originated. I kind of think of it as posting something that makes the recipient red in the face mad. Usually these remarks are personal in nature and tend to escalate.

It is really nice that most here are unfamiliar with the term. I hope to keep it that way :mg:

On the internet it is way too easy to take a comment wrong. Emoticons / Smilies help somewhat. A wink , laugh or smile to show the comment was in jest is an example.

Our group , so far, has been pretty mature and not gone to the level of personal attacks. Part of that is the good nature of the people who frequent here. The other part is that the administrator and moderators have agreed to delete such posts without question. We try to head off any conflicts if possible.
:fingers crossed: I have never had to suspend or ban a member of this forum. I hope the record holds :thumb:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

HenryJ wrote:...I have never had to suspend or ban a member of this forum...
You mean to tell me that you haven't at least CONSIDERED Barch????? :?: :!:

^ more flaming ^

:lol:
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Pauleo wrote:
HenryJ wrote:...I have never had to suspend or ban a member of this forum...
You mean to tell me that you haven't at least CONSIDERED Barch????? :?: :!:

^ more flaming ^

:lol:
The Barchster does not FLAME, he just stirs the pot :wink:

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

barch97 wrote:
Steve2003 wrote:

Steve
what a stoopit question, n00b

^ flaming ^
Ok! now I get it. :D Thanks you ugly jerk! :wink: Wow! flaming is fun :lol: :wink:
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I do know of another definition of "flaming" as described by Bill Engval, but it's considered more of an adjective than a verb :lol:
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

The Secret Cause of Flame Wars
"Don't work too hard," wrote a colleague in an e-mail today. Was she sincere or sarcastic? I think I know (sarcastic), but I'm probably wrong.

According to recent research published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, I've only a 50-50 chance of ascertaining the tone of any e-mail message. The study also shows that people think they've correctly interpreted the tone of e-mails they receive 90 percent of the time.

"That's how flame wars get started," says psychologist Nicholas Epley of the University of Chicago, who conducted the research with Justin Kruger of New York University. "People in our study were convinced they've accurately understood the tone of an e-mail message when in fact their odds are no better than chance," says Epley.

The researchers took 30 pairs of undergraduate students and gave each one a list of 20 statements about topics like campus food or the weather. Assuming either a serious or sarcastic tone, one member of each pair e-mailed the statements to his or her partner. The partners then guessed the intended tone and indicated how confident they were in their answers.

Those who sent the messages predicted that nearly 80 percent of the time their partners would correctly interpret the tone. In fact the recipients got it right just over 50 percent of the time.

"People often think the tone or emotion in their messages is obvious because they 'hear' the tone they intend in their head as they write," Epley explains.

At the same time, those reading messages unconsciously interpret them based on their current mood, stereotypes and expectations. Despite this, the research subjects thought they accurately interpreted the messages nine out of 10 times.

The reason for this is egocentrism, or the difficulty some people have detaching themselves from their own perspective, says Epley. In other words, people aren't that good at imagining how a message might be understood from another person's perspective.

"E-mail is very easy to misinterpret, which not only triggers flame wars but lots of litigation," says Nancy Flynn, executive director of the e-Policy Institute and author of guidebooks E-Mail Rules and Instant Messaging Rules. Many companies battle workplace lawsuits triggered by employee e-mail, according to Flynn.

People write absolutely, incredibly stupid things in company e-mails," said Flynn.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

for those of you that want to experience flaming first hand, go to http://pirate4x4.com/forum then go to the toy section and ask about which truck has the biggest fender wells. so that way, you know which one to buy so you can put the biggest tires on. :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

...According to recent research published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, I've only a 50-50 chance of ascertaining the tone of any e-mail message. The study also shows that people think they've correctly interpreted the tone of e-mails they receive 90 percent of the time.
I wonder if emoticons, or smilies were used? Probably not since they are not as prevalent in email.
The use of smilies to portray emotion may help a little. It is hard to gauge the intent of the conversation when you can not read the face of the other.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

HenryJ wrote:
...According to recent research published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, I've only a 50-50 chance of ascertaining the tone of any e-mail message. The study also shows that people think they've correctly interpreted the tone of e-mails they receive 90 percent of the time.
I wonder if emoticons, or smilies were used? Probably not since they are not as prevalent in email.
The use of smilies to portray emotion may help a little. It is hard to gauge the intent of the conversation when you can not read the face of the other.
I agree 100%. Sometimes what we reply with here on the forum could easily be misread as something negative if it weren't for our little smiley friends :D
--Walt
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

wamason wrote:
HenryJ wrote:

I agree 100%. Sometimes what we reply with here on the forum could easily be misread as something negative if it weren't for our little smiley friends :D

And, believe it or not, sometimes smilies can be misused as well.

I am very familiar with the problem of people misinterpreting my posts and emails because I don't always word things the way I mean them and I've sometimes used smilies wrong too, I guess what I think a smiley means isn't always how others see them. Also, it doesn't help to have a really strange sense of humor. Many times I've managed to really tick people off and I meant no harm whatsoever. This is the biggest reason why I seldom post anymore.
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

I never knew what the word "flaming" meant in internet terms but after reading these posts flaming goes on in everyday life. In the business I work in my bosses flame all the time, some people can take it and some can't and they quit. Some times I don't know if they are serious or just kidding. I see fellow employee's flaming all the time and my customers flame. The customers are the hardest one's to deal with, most of them make a fourth of what I make and I have to put up with their BS. I think people that flame have a self esteem problem, they are insecure with who they are so they try to put other people down to try and build themselves up. This is IMHO.

Steve M.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Steve2003 wrote:............I think people that flame have a self esteem problem, they are insecure with who they are so they try to put other people down to try and build themselves up. This is IMHO.

Steve M.
In a large percentage of the time, I think you have hit the nail squarely on the headImage
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I think it's more of a group dynamic thing. It's hazing, a right of passage, everyone makes mistakes in the beginning, that's how we learn. "Flaming" is for the most part good natured and well meaning advice/guidance combined with often times humorous yet mildly offensive remarks included to drive a point home. But, as with any form of hazing, people get carried away and frequently take things further than they should. When one person points out a mistake in a sarcastic manner, it's easily absorbed and learned from. When every person that comes along after piles on another crack... well, that's a little different.

I think the point that I'm failing to make here and was somewhat apparent in the article I posted is that if you read something on the internet that could be taken more than one way and one of those ways offends you, it was most likely meant the other way.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I think another problem is our tendancy to mimick sharks or wolves. Once something like this starts, it is like the smell of blood. Everyone gathers to join in the feeding frenzy.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

HenryJ wrote:I think another problem is our tendancy to mimick sharks or wolves. Once something like this starts, it is like the smell of blood. Everyone gathers to join in the feeding frenzy.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
--Walt