Board look

Forum rules, questions, How-to's for posting pictures and making links, etc..

Moderator: HenryJ

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Board look

Post by HenryJ »

Ok, I officially made my big mistake early this year.
I updated the software for all the forums and messed this one up. I accidentally installed an update in our board style template and it really messed us up.

Walt is going to offer us a fresh look this evening. :rock: I'm going to sit back and see what we look like. I have had my hand on the brush for so long, perhaps we need a different paint job?
Thanks Walt!

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Board look

Post by green02crew »

The current look is okay, but not sure I'm a fan. It's hard to tell where posts stop and where posts begin, no line defining them? Also, I can't seem to easily differentiate between old posts and new posts. No color markers like before being red for new, yellow for old.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I agree. Not a fan of the avatar being in the sig line either.

This was just a template Walt had that he had started working on long ago. He put it into service as the prosilver style was just too different and we didn't want Reed to have a stroke. :lol:

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Ummmm, yeah I liked the previous format much better as well.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Yes, the current style is a bit spastic. Don't worry my friends, you'll be back in familiar territory soon. :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Until you get a "show stopper" put together...I threw this style together with our logo. It is not too bad on the eyes and buttons are easier to find. It is compatible with the latest release of software :)

Pearl is still mess up in the posts and the header needs work. I uploaded our logo to it though. Right now I'll do my best not to keep "salting the stew" ;) :rock:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I kind of like how easy it is to see a new post on this style. Even better than the last. I kinda miss our "whos online" rotating gif though.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Works for me.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Wow, have you tried the search box? Nice. Nice format for the results.
A couple tweaks went sideways...welcome to Friday the 13th :(

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You know...the more I use this the more i like it, Nice contrast , yet easy on the eyes. Controls are laid out well. New posts and topic really show up.

I lost the gradient on the top and my links at the bottom are invisible too, but I think I can live with those if they can not be fixed.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Don't care for this format either. Harder to read. Probably cause I'm an "old" guy.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

What do you prefer?
We will be staying with a dark format. Not going white.
Our old template is no longer an option as it is incompatible with the latest software release. Currently there are only four or five templates available and we can adjust the colors on those a little.

The layout of this takes a little "getting used to", but I'm starting to like it better. The search function seems to be better.
The posts are clearly separated without being too bold.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

This layout is growing on me as well. I've been thinking about making the background slightly transparent, and adding our rotating background images. This will also serve to darken the background grey just a little bit, increasing text contrast. What do you think?
--Walt
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That sounds like it is worth a shot. Should we do that on a duplicate so I don't end up in the mess that started this all?

BTW, the logo image set is 600x100. The default is messed up.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Try switching to Art Elegance Black YELLOW in your profile settings, and see what you think. :) Some of the image borders still need a little work through. Mostly the buttons.
--Walt
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Those yellow bars are a little too bright. It is like staring at a fluorescent light. Need to tone them down.
The preview to the right of the style allows you to check things out easily without changing the profile or board settings.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I was of a similar opinion, but I'm unsure what color to change to. Any other yellow just doesn't look quite right...
--Walt
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Neutrals are Ok. Brownish like this is easier on the eyes.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I changed the solid color to a gradient, keeping the original yellow at the bottom of the bar, but transitioning to a lighter shade at the top. What do you think?
--Walt
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That is better for sure. I could probably get my eyes to adjust to that. I reduced the logo to 600x100. That gives more room below.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Brule, if you want to look over things go ahead. Off you think it's ready to go, feel free to enable it. My bed time is coming up. :)

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk
--Walt
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Walt wrote:Try switching to Art Elegance Black YELLOW in your profile settings, and see what you think. :) Some of the image borders still need a little work through. Mostly the buttons.
Went to profile settings and was unable to find this setting you speak of. The current color scheme finds me 6" away from the screen and squinting to read it. Appears blurry and sig line print runs together unreadable. Unless in a very dark room this format color scheme is quite difficult for me to use. I have tried adjusting settings on my pc but if I do that then web pages of other sites are so bright they tend to fatigue the eyes as well.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sorry, we are talking about the levers behind the curtain. I made the switch to yellow. Refresh your browesr, or clear your cache and you should see a brighter template.
Tell me what we need to do to make it better if its not working for you.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

It is better but the main problem I am having is the what appears to be gray on black body of the posts. I notice the contrast is better when I am posting but not as good when reading posted messages. I can't read the words without extreme effort and foreknowledge that are in my own sig line.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I should add I did exit the site and do a system info dump as well as browser history dump prior to the last post and had the noted experience.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

roadrunner wrote:It is better but the main problem I am having is the what appears to be gray on black body of the posts. I notice the contrast is better when I am posting but not as good when reading posted messages. I can't read the words without extreme effort and foreknowledge that are in my own sig line.
This template does reduce the font size in the signature line. That you can fix in your profile. I bumped mine up the "Small" (size=85) , it was set "Tiny" (size=75)

You might try adjusting you monitor a little? Perhaps a little more contrast might help? I am seeing differences between the two monitors I have here. I can see what you mention about the white on gray I am not seeing a difference in the posting editor and the posted body though. I think the font color is the same.

Walt may be able to slightly darker the background, or have the white font "whiter"? Dunno? We may all just have to let ourselves adjust :)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

We can whiten the post font a bit. :)

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk
--Walt
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You know what...I just noticed that. My sig line above your post shows the difference. Guess that change might be helpful.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I changed the font size and color in my controls. Presently the only negative for me is the gray on black of the previously posted messages. Quick reply font size and color are fine.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I'm now messing with the font color and size in post to see any difference. Changing settings in user controls yielded no joy.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Did not help the body of the message on my end. Only the bracketed size and color are changed.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I see a change since earlier today. While I could live with the previous scheme, this is better.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I'm liking this one. I approve.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
Jim

Post by Jim »

Like it alot :-)
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:clap: Walt did a great job fixing things up.
I did a few little things to repair my goof. I am getting used to it and actually think I like it a little better than the last template.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Really a nice update even though, the administrators are already overburdened dealing with day to day issues.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

So far looks easier to read. I like. The snow thing was cute for about a minute thought till I tried using this forum on my TV PC. Was nice to be able to sit on the couch and post from across the room but now typing has major lag while the white stuff blows around.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Spring time. Snow is gone.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Good! Pages are loading noticeably faster without the snow.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Yay! Now I don't have to type my responses in Word and copy and paste. :)
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
Serge PETIT
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Serge PETIT »

roadrunner wrote:Good! Pages are loading noticeably faster without the snow.
Same for me ! 8)