New to site

Forum rules, questions, How-to's for posting pictures and making links, etc..

Moderator: HenryJ

MaineS10

New to site

Post by MaineS10 »

Just wanted to say hello and this looks like a very informative group of people, glad to be part of the group. I am new to the crew cab world of S-10's, but no stranger to the s series. I have owned several variations of them over the years, the crew cab is the newest of them yet.
I just picked up this 2003 crew cab 4x4, it is just shy of 200k miles, but is amazingly solid considering its from Maine. The previous owner said the transmission was slipping. I got a steal of a deal due to that. When I got it home I found no fluid showing on the dipstick. I added almost a quart and brought it up to level. I have not been able to make the transmission slip at all. I have not had it out on the road, but have driven it all over my property in 2wd and 4wd, forward and backwards. My plan is to change the filter and fluid and try my luck. I know the common front end issues to look for before putting on the road, but am always open for input from others on items I should inspect before making it road ready. I plan on panting the frame and doing a good inspection so I am in no hurry! It's almost time to get the 1992 V-8 2wd out for the summer!
Thanks in advance for the input and I am happy to be part of the group.
1992 S-10, 2wd, 355 V-8, 5-spd.
2003 S-10, 4wd Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: New to site

Post by HenryJ »

I'd check the oil in the rear diff for water. Make sure the vent has been relocated. Clean the evap vent valve filter. Check for fluid in the T-case vacuum lines.
Those would be my top three. Then look for a cracked dist. housing and that darn loctite on the cap screws.
A dose of injector cleaner and check or change the fuel filter.
I am sure you well know the weak points, but thought I'd get you started :)
Enjoy, glad the site is still here :)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK