Strange sound

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Strange sound

Post by Horsehammerr »

Riding on 190,000 miles now and runs great but , has been developing a sort of Growling sound at all speeds. Loader at higher speed and mellows out at slower speed but still there. No noticeable odd functions anywhere, just the sound. Any Ideas ? :?:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Strange sound

Post by HenryJ »

Pinion bearing on rear axle? Mine had soft shims that squished out on the stock rear. I went to the more robust ZR2 rear soon after finding that.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Is the ZR2 rear wider than stock CC ? Can an upgrade bearing replace this possibly damaged bearing ?
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Torskdoc »

Yes the ZR2 Rear is a little wider (by an inch or two IIRC). to replace the pinion gear bearing the whole rear needs to be disassembled, new parts including shims, then the ring gear and pinion gear needs aligning. NOT CHEAP by ANY MEANS. Probably better off finding a complete Rear in the Junkyard with the SAME GEAR Ratio and just swap the rears, putting new brake parts on the new rear.

The pinion on my 95 Jimmy hummed like a whore in church from the day my father bought it new. GM never could fix it. So we lived with it. It lasted about 125,000 before the bearing self-destructed and the pinion egged out the bearing mounting hole. So I went down to the junkyard and found a rear out of a 97 Sonoma, swapped rears and put new brakes on the rear. Been hum free for 3 years and 9000 miles now. Took a few hours on the driveway to do the swap.
2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Horsehammer, I still have my stock 3.73 geared axle. It would look great under your truck.

:wave:
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Have sent two PM's to STUCKY
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Anyone have a ZR2 rear axle assembly for sale ? 3.73 ratio
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

HenryJ wrote:Pinion bearing on rear axle? Mine had soft shims that squished out on the stock rear. I went to the more robust ZR2 rear soon after finding that.
What all needs to be done to make this switch ? :?:
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Horsehammerr wrote:
HenryJ wrote:Pinion bearing on rear axle? Mine had soft shims that squished out on the stock rear. I went to the more robust ZR2 rear soon after finding that.
What all needs to be done to make this switch ? :?:
Got my 179 mile ZR2 rearend in , now working on getting brakes back together. Not sure about hooking up the parking brake cables , any help is welcome. Oh yeah , had to relocate my axle assembly 1 1/4" back from factory location so my drive shaft was not jambed tight to tranny.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Tricks to changing Parking Brake forward Cables ?
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

:twisted: After success in ZR2 rear axle assembly install , now the front end is GRINDING , What Is This ?
plantone
Crew
Crew

Post by plantone »

check the hub bearings up front

at 190k if you havent replaced them, they're long past due for a failure to happen, likely even due for another round if they've been replaced once already.
"Politics: The art of appearing candid and completely open while concealing as much as possible." - Frank Herbert

"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries" - The French Fellows
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'03 LS Crew Cab
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

If it is actually the differential, I have one of those also. Just under 100,000 miles, 3.73 gears.

:wave:
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

The way I'm set up , I'm actually thinking about going AWD. Need complete '95 Olds. Bravada front drive . Non-electric and eliminates all the vacumm BS.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I know Cardone CV axles are the recommended replacements but, what about the Hub Bearings, any recommendations there ?