What Brand Tires?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Ezrollin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What Brand Tires?

Post by Ezrollin »

The 2003 LS crew cab I bought had a decent set of tires when I bought it. It will be used mainly as a daily driver and for an occasional trip to the boat ramp or on a drivable dirt road. My tire of choice has always been Michelins defenders $115 ea. after $70 rebate. I see Hankooks for $59.00 ea. I know Michelin are good riding long lasting tires but at twice the price.
plantone
Crew
Crew

Re: What Brand Tires?

Post by plantone »

i just went with hankook's

i havent had them long enough to give a longevity report as a daily driver, but damn do they grab on crappy roads.

i made a run to northern michigan during that first big storm we got that snowed up i75... never even hit the 4x4 button. those things are grippy!
"Politics: The art of appearing candid and completely open while concealing as much as possible." - Frank Herbert

"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries" - The French Fellows
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'03 LS Crew Cab
Ezrollin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Ezrollin »

What cured me of buying cheap tires was the crappy ride, I didn't expect a lot of mileage out of them. Had a cheap set on my wife's Merc and replaced them with Michelins. You'll know in about 10,000 miles how the Hankooks are working out please keep us posted on how they worked out for you.
plantone
Crew
Crew

Post by plantone »

as a side note - i did NOT go with the cheapest tires i could buy. i put Hankook dynapro ATM's, which are - price point wise - only a few dollars from the Michelin LTX and cooper discoverys were based on the rebates that were available at the time. i should have been more specific.

ive got ~15 or 16k on them already since i put them on 8/14, and they'll be going in for their third rotation in another few weeks when i get the oil swapped again.

they're wearing beautifully, and ive had them in a couple snows already and they grip about as good as anything ive driven on in recent memory.

based on how i drive - or more importantly how MUCH i drive - if i get two winters out of these i'll be supremely happy. AFAIK they're like a 50k rated tire. I got over 43k out of my coopers - but those went premature due to equipment failures in the suspension/steering and not a fault of the tires.
"Politics: The art of appearing candid and completely open while concealing as much as possible." - Frank Herbert

"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries" - The French Fellows
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'03 LS Crew Cab
Ezrollin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Ezrollin »

I just took a look at the Hankook Dynopros and I like the more aggressive thread. Like I said I will be using my CC for trips to the boat ramp and an occasional dirt road, no off roading. Since it is my daily driver I want a tire that is smooth riding and quiet...I don't expect them to be as smooth or quiet as all season or touring tire. I've found them as low as $89.00 delivered, this could be my next set of tires, thanks for the heads up.
plantone
Crew
Crew

Post by plantone »

well we got a pile of snow today - north of 10" of the stuff... i'm absolutely in love with these tires.

i did put the 4x4 in once the snow got deep, but more for dodging the idiots than anything else.

plus these storms bring the kid out in me and i like to play drift buster and ride thru the slop piles on the road and drift a bit - ok a lot :)

once traffic cleared i was having a blast in this weather - even with the 4x4 on you can still have fun :)

'03 LS Crew Cab
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

I have the hankook dynapro atm tires on my truck as welll. Probably around 5k on them and been happy with the ride and grip. Need to service the front end soon, seeing some feathering but not due to the tires themselves. Been putting off ripping it apart and doing balljoints, lowers are shot.

I was always a BFG A/T guy, but the size of tire I needed wasn't offered, that's how I ended up with hankooks.

I liked the hankooks so much I ended up buying a set of hankooks winter tires for the gfs car to be installed this weekend. Can't wait to see how they perform in snow. I've got blizzaks on my car I DD 145 miles a day and they are amazing in snow. I'm expecting the same results with the hankooks.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Check out the selection from Nitto sometime. I have moved from BFG to Nitto. Looking forward to my next set being Ridge Grapplers :)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
plantone
Crew
Crew

Post by plantone »

LoneWolf04 wrote:I have the hankook dynapro atm tires on my truck as welll. Probably around 5k on them and been happy with the ride and grip. Need to service the front end soon, seeing some feathering but not due to the tires themselves. Been putting off ripping it apart and doing balljoints, lowers are shot.

I was always a BFG A/T guy, but the size of tire I needed wasn't offered, that's how I ended up with hankooks.

I liked the hankooks so much I ended up buying a set of hankooks winter tires for the gfs car to be installed this weekend. Can't wait to see how they perform in snow. I've got blizzaks on my car I DD 145 miles a day and they are amazing in snow. I'm expecting the same results with the hankooks.

my dad ran the blizzaks in the past, but they wear something fierce when you run them outside of the cold weather. i dont remember what model dad had (its been a while) but he never went back due to how short of a life they had.

he still talks about how good the traction was - they get a LOT of drifting up by where they are due to all the commercial farmland and open fields - and then immediately goes grumpy because he had to replace them going into winter #2 because the tread was smoked. and it wasnt mechanical issues or lack of rotation, they just wore out in the summer temps. :2:

this past wednesday was the first time my hankooks actually got squirrly on me - at least when i wasnt expecting/planning on it heh!. i was out near muskegon and there was some lake effect snow going down so the highway was starting to get sketchy. was crossing an overpass and the truck wibbled enough so that i was farting seat cushion foam for about an hour afterward. i managed to get control of it so no harm done to anything other than my blood pressure for a few mins.

not really the tires fault, that bridge was pretty glazed over. :surrender:

still caused the pucker factor to go up by about 6 or 7 notches :eyes: :!:

'03 LS Crew Cab
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

plantone wrote:

my dad ran the blizzaks in the past, but they wear something fierce when you run them outside of the cold weather. i dont remember what model dad had (its been a while) but he never went back due to how short of a life they had.

he still talks about how good the traction was - they get a LOT of drifting up by where they are due to all the commercial farmland and open fields - and then immediately goes grumpy because he had to replace them going into winter #2 because the tread was smoked. and it wasnt mechanical issues or lack of rotation, they just wore out in the summer temps. :2:

this past wednesday was the first time my hankooks actually got squirrly on me - at least when i wasnt expecting/planning on it heh!. i was out near muskegon and there was some lake effect snow going down so the highway was starting to get sketchy. was crossing an overpass and the truck wibbled enough so that i was farting seat cushion foam for about an hour afterward. i managed to get control of it so no harm done to anything other than my blood pressure for a few mins.

Can't say I've had that experience with the blizzaks. 2nd winter and planets of life left. Think I've put about 15k miles and going strong. I don't do keep them on during summer temps. If it gets over 45 they come off.
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

LoneWolf04 wrote:
plantone wrote:

Can't say I've had that experience with the blizzaks. 2nd winter and plenty of life left. Think I've put about 15k miles and going strong. I don't do keep them on during summer temps. If it gets over 45 they come off.
plantone
Crew
Crew

Post by plantone »

LoneWolf04 wrote:
Can't say I've had that experience with the blizzaks. 2nd winter and planets of life left. Think I've put about 15k miles and going strong. I don't do keep them on during summer temps. If it gets over 45 they come off.
ya... wasnt suggesting it was the right way to use them, just what he expierenced when he did use them that way and it was a spectactular fail.

he's also a fairly high mileage driver... north of 30k per year is well within common for him, and some years he even drives more than i do.

'03 LS Crew Cab