A/C compressor clutch

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

A/C compressor clutch

Post by Yellow Hammer »

Need help. My compressor clutch came apart last night and I don't know much about it. Does anyone know if this is servicable or is the whole assembly part of the compressor? The shaft is threaded but I'm not sure how to, if possible, disassemble it. My buddy has a compressor with the clutch assy on it from a 2000 Blazer and he said the compressor is the same but the clutch is different. If I need to replace the clutch only, can this one be used in my truck. If anyone knows much about this, please respond. I have pics of the clutch after it came apart but I forgot how to attach pics. I can email them if needed. Thanks.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew Cab (white), 2" suspension lift (torsion bar crank & Daystar shackles), 2"BL, 31X10.50 BFG AT, 15X7 Cragar wheels (black), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, Hi-Lift jack with mount, rock sliders, Bilstein shocks, Westin light bar, Hella 500 lights, Trans cooler, GPS, CB, XM radio

Roll Tide!![/size]
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

I was wrong about my friends compressor. The one out of the 2000 Blazer has the same clutch assy as mine but his 2003 S-10 is different.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew Cab (white), 2" suspension lift (torsion bar crank & Daystar shackles), 2"BL, 31X10.50 BFG AT, 15X7 Cragar wheels (black), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, Hi-Lift jack with mount, rock sliders, Bilstein shocks, Westin light bar, Hella 500 lights, Trans cooler, GPS, CB, XM radio

Roll Tide!![/size]
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

Alright, here's what I've found out so far. I called around and you can purchase the clutch by itself so it's obviously servicable. I just don't know how. If anyone has any diagrams or more info on how to uninstall the old one and install a new one, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if there are any special tools needed.

For everyone's benefit, the pricing is as follows. I didn't price one through GM because I figured it would be through the roof but I did call the three following auto parts stores.

Autozone - $99.99 with 1 year warrantee

Advance Auto - $114.99 with 1 year warrantee

NAPA - 140.99 with 2 year warrantee

I didn't get the part numbers but if anyone needs them, I can find out. Please let me know if anyone can help me out. Thanks.

Roll Tide!![/size]
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

There should be a nut threaded to the end of your compressor shaft. Its been a while since I have done one of these but Im thinking youll need an AC clutch puller/installer to do the job right. If you get the clutch off, inspect the pulley for obvious signs of damage (grooves, gouges, etc..). If the pulley looks OK then just service the clutch..as in buy a new one and install it back on the compressor shaft and clearance it to about a little less than the thickness of a dime to the compressor puley surface. The clutch isnt that expensive but the pulley is surprisingly expensive. The pulley comes off similar to the clutch except it is keyed to the shaft and I think there is a large snap ring you have to remove as well.

sorry...thats the best I can do. Hope it helps
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Did it get hot enough to damage the seal on the compressor? If the clutch melted down the seal probably got cooked and replacing the compressor with a new assembly may be a better choice.
GM data wrote:Compressor Clutch Plate and Hub Assembly Removal HT6/HD6/HU6

* Tools Required J 34992 Compressor Holding Fixture
* J 33013-B Hub and Drive Plate Remover/Installer

1. Clamp the J 34992 in a vise.
2. Use thumb screws in order to attach the compressor to the holding fixture.

Notice

Do not drive or pound on the clutch hub or shaft. Internal damage to the compressor may result. The forcing tip on the J 33013-B remover/installer center screw must be flat or the end of the shaft/axial plate assembly will be damaged.
3. Ensure that the center screw forces the tip to thrust against the end of the shaft.
4. Thread the J 33013-B into the hub.
5. While holding the body of J 33013-B of the remover with a wrench, turn the center screw into the remover body in order to remove the clutch plate and hub assembly.
6. Remove the shaft key. Retain the shaft key for reassembly.
GM data wrote:Compressor Clutch Plate and Hub Assembly Removal V7 - Direct Mount

* Tools Required J 33013-B Hub and Drive Plate Remover/Installer
* J 33027-A Clutch Hub Holding Tool
* J 41790 A/C Compressor Holding Fixture
1. Remove the A/C compressor from the vehicle.
2. Clamp the A/C compressor holding fixture, J 41790 in a vise and attach the A/C compressor to the J 41790 .
3. Hold the clutch hub and drive plate assembly in place using the J 33027-A .
4. Remove the A/C compressor shaft nut with a 13 mm socket.
5. Thread the J 33013-B into the hub.
6. Remove the hub and drive plate assembly by turning the center screw into the body of the J 33013-B and against the A/C compressor shaft.
7. Remove the shaft key and retain for reassembly.
At a glance the last one looks like the one I have.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

Thanks fo the info. I am going to buy a new clutch this morning and give it a shot.

Roll Tide!![/size]
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

HenryJ wrote:Did it get hot enough to damage the seal on the compressor? If the clutch melted down the seal probably got cooked and replacing the compressor with a new assembly may be a better choice.
To answer your question, I don't think the seal was damaged and the compressor is still in good shape. Thanks.

Roll Tide!![/size]
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

I bought the parts this morning from NAPA and it is the entire assembly. The pulley comes with it and includes the bearing, coil, and electrical connection and the clutch is a separate piece but is included. I went with NAPA because they were the only ones that had it in stock. I would've had to wait until Monday or Tuesday to get it from AutoZone or Advance Auto. I like our NAPA dealer better than the other two anyway and it comes with a better warrantee. The following info is what I found if anyone needs it. There is a correction with the AutoZone warrantee from my previous post:

NAPA
clutch assy - $140.99 w 2 year warrantee
p/n - 261204
pulley/clutch remover - $37.99
p/n - 783216
pulley/clutch installer - $27.99
p/n - 783209

Advance Auto
clutch assy - $114.99 w 1 year warrantee
p/n - 48655

AutoZone
clutch assy - $99.99 w 90 day warrantee
p/n - 667655

Roll Tide!![/size]
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

I got it replaced and all is well. It was not difficult at all and only took about an hour and a half. The job itself only took about an hour but I had to take the fan shroud off which is a bear if you have a body lift. My forearms are all scraped up from it. The removal and installer tools are a necessity. I did not have to bring the A/C system down or remove the compressor. The entire job was done in place. The compressor does not have a nut on the end of the shaft, the clutch is pressed on and has a key to keep it from slipping on the shaft. The coil and pulley are also pressed on and held in place with a snap ring. The compressor shaft is threaded for using the removal and installer tools. All in all, things went very well.

I also found out that you can purchase a refurbished compressor with the clutch/pulley/coil installed for $250.00 from NAPA. They also sale a small compressor with vacuum to bring the A/C system down for $40.00. I contemplated this but decided to just replace the clutch.

On another note, some of you may have seen another post that I made awhile back about my A/C system not working when it's really hot outside. The clutch replacement fixed this problem. I suspect that my clutch was faulty from the get go and just finally came completely apart. I don't really understand it but it works fine now.

Thanks Rusty and HenryJ for you help.
Last edited by Yellow Hammer on Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Roll Tide!![/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Thank you for taking the time to tell us all about it :thumb:
This will help someone else for sure :bow:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK